Author Topic: Splash - Who is breeding them?  (Read 5576 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Splash - Who is breeding them?
« on: August 20, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
I want to get some feelers out there to see who is breeding LF or bantam splash. (not the splash wheaten)

Please reply if you have been breeding for five or more years and if you have LF or bantam.

I will start.

I have LF splash and have had them since 2007; 7 years.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:25:16 PM by Jean »
Jean

Mike Gilbert

Re: Splash - Who is breeding them?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
Had bantam splash for many years but no longer do, as my blues were sold last fall, and what I had were the result of either blue to blue or blue to splash matings.   I could provide the required certificate, but could not show at a qualifying meet obviously.

Russ

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »
I have some splash Bantams, but this is my first year breeding. Thanks again Mike for the wonderful start with the BBS Bantams. I should have a few nice ones to bring and show at Fowl Fest this fall (some splash & some Blue, Blacks seem to have a little to much purple so far). Unfortunately the late start hatching means no L.F. to bring. Oh I also do have splash L.F. I almost forgot duh I normally do not keep them though just the Blue.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »

Russ, I would not use that line to produce blacks as these are silver based.   The best colored blacks are usually gold based, though I have seen, and produced, birds with a decent green sheen that were based on silver.  In fact I had two different silver based black pullets take BB bantam at past Ameraucana national meets.  But it probably wouldn't happen with the line you got from me.  They were bred to produce blues and splash.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »
I am on year #3 of raising LF Splash.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »
I am just starting my 5th year on Splash in both LF and Bantam. Like Russ, I do not keep many Splash for breeders that result from Blue/Blue breeding. I do not breed Splash/Splash as I only use Splash to develop my Blues.
Gordon Gilliam

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »
We have been breeding large fowl splash for 12 years.
Paul Smith

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »
John,

Did you ever breed them??
Jean

John

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:14 PM »
I remember having some, but don't remember breeding for them and would have to do some real searching to come up with guesses as to how many years it was.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
I have had LF splash for at least five years, maybe six.  I know I had a hard time getting some when I first started as I could not get any to hatch.  After just giving up hatching them and getting chicks I have always had a splash cock and at least one to two splash hens around.  I usually set a pen that will produce splash every year.  I seem to always have some that grow out with way too much white and little blue color.  Any info from the board on that result?  I think I know the hen that produced that and she is currently enjoying retirement, but it still popped up this year.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Ontario Chick

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
LF , four years only

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »
I wanted to bump this back up so that we may think about getting the splash variety accepted sometime in the near future. 

We need five breeders of large fowl and five breeders of bantams for five years for an affidavit as part of the process.

Again please only post if you have bred either LF or bantam splash for this period of time.  Below are breeders that I have down that look to be qualified.

LF Breeders

Jean Ribbeck
Gordon Gilliam
Paul Smith
Sharon Caywood
John Blehm (?)
Jerry De Smidt
Lyne Petersen
Robert Rennolet

Bantam Breeders

Mike Gilbert (?)
Gordon Gilliam