Author Topic: Black Bantams  (Read 2524 times)

Russ

Black Bantams
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:11:28 PM »
Mike,
 Figured I would reply over here so as not to hi jack the other post by Jean. I figured the black bantams would be as they are, being silver based. I mainly purchased for the exceptional Blue breeding capabilities. Not that I won't use the REALLY nice blacks in other breeding pens. I figured being silver based they would work great with my lavenders and possibly try a cross with my silvers also. I think the silvers bantams I have would benefit from a cross mainly to improve type. Maybe I am wrong but I would think Silver based Black would be the best option for both lavender and silver. Hopefully you will correct me if I am wrong  ;)

Mike Gilbert

Re: Black Bantams
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:20:13 PM »
I believe John has made that cross, maybe multiple times, with large fowl successfully.   But be careful about messing up the female silver's color.   The lavender cross is a good choice as blacks were used to make them.

John

Re: Black Bantams
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:32:42 PM »
Here is a link to a topic were I have some photos...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=2019.msg15143#msg15143

You have to hatch a lot and play the odds with some of these outcrosses, but progress can be made.
I do wonder sometimes how much progress though.  Wildtype (e+) silver Ameraucanas, both large and bantam are the flightiest of the breed.  They also have ugly pea combs and have that game type appearance even after many decades of breeding and several outcrosses.  Are some genes just so closely linked to wildtype that we can't get a silver colored Ameraucana on the body of a black one? Are there any e+ based varieties with great pea combs?  Even that name "wildtype" makes me feel like the battle is already lost. ;)