Author Topic: Off-Color Blues?  (Read 3552 times)

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Off-Color Blues?
« on: September 04, 2013, 02:37:45 PM »
I hatched 15-20 birds this past spring that turned out with this off color. The odd thing is that all of them are males. They all came from a black male/blue female mating. I suspect that the male is based on gold rather than silver. I'm still learning the basics of genetics so hopefully the more experienced breeders will chime in... In the future I will try John and Mike's advice and only breed like colors.
Max Strawn

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Re: Off-Color Blues?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
I hatched 15-20 birds this past spring that turned out with this off color. The odd thing is that all of them are males. They all came from a black male/blue female mating. I suspect that the male is based on gold rather than silver. I'm still learning the basics of genetics so hopefully the more experienced breeders will chime in... In the future I will try John and Mike's advice and only breed like colors.

I'm not seeing it.  What is off?  How old are these male birds?
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:50:31 PM »

Blue is highly variable in expression, especially in males.  The hackles and head are usually at least a few shades darker than the breast and body in males.  What are you seeing that we are not seeing in the photos?

heatherscooby77

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:16:35 AM »
I can't see anything overly concerning with the color. 

The first pic I can see some alternating shades of blue in the saddle feathers.

The second pic I can see some very slight brassiness in the hackle.

I only noticed these things after I looked at the pictures several times, over the past day or so.  This is just my opinion, I don't think you should worry about it until you see what his final adult plumage comes in.  If those things go away, or some other funky things happen with the color, decide what to do then.  If color is your main focus this breeding season for you cull him when he is older.  If he has things that can add to your breeding program, keep him.  Do test matings.  What do the males look like that you are not culling?  Please explain what you are seeing...........................

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »
Sorry for the confusion... I should have thought of a better name for this thread. The pics don't show everything. They always look different in person. He is about 14-16 weeks old. Most of his feathers, including the adult feathers that are coming in, are a flat color. Not much sheen to them. He has some feathers that are half blue and half black . As a comparison, this bird came from the same mating but is about a month older. His color is much better in my opinion. I was just curious as to wether the differences between the two were possibly due to the sire being based on gold.
Max Strawn