Author Topic: Feather color on Blue Wheaten Cockerel  (Read 3557 times)

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Feather color on Blue Wheaten Cockerel
« on: October 02, 2013, 01:05:36 PM »
Members of the Forum have told me before that Wheaten & Blue Wheaten Cockerels are late to mature.  I'm trying to cull a few of the ones I have that are 6 months old.  Is this still way too early? 
A couple of the Cockerels have some red/gold feathering among the gray feathers in the low back abdomen, beneath the wing. (I don't know the proper term for this area)  Is this feather color okay or a disqualifier?  Will the feather color change to gray later on?  Thank you for the help - Linda

Mike Gilbert

Re: Feather color on Blue Wheaten Cockerel
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
Sounds pretty minor.   I would be looking at things like shape, weight, thriftiness and vigor, comb, muffs, tail carriage, body carriage, knock knees, crooked toes, beak length and shape, and probably a few others before worrying about a few gold feathers in the blue sections at that age.

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:13:57 PM »
Mike - I appreciate the suggestions on what to look for; that helps.  There is so much to consider.  Thank you - Linda

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
orange red ticking in the fluff of the body and stern is permissible
Jean

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »
Regarding things to look for on Wheatens/Blue Wheatens, is six months enough time to determine shank color?  How long does it take to develop a good slate color either in the pullets or cockerals?  I see a hint at six months and am wondering if they will darken any more later? 
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...