Author Topic: State Fair of Texas Open Poultry Show  (Read 3815 times)

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
State Fair of Texas Open Poultry Show
« on: October 25, 2013, 02:09:17 AM »
The State Fair of Texas Open Poultry Show was held on Oct. 12-13. Thought I would give a partial report on the results. There was close to 700 total birds entered. 40+ were large fowl Ameraucanas. About half of those were whites and blacks. I was fortunate to win Champion AOSB with a black pullet I got from John Blehm as a chick back in February. She also won Reserve Grand Champion Standard of the show! I also won Reserve AOSB with a black cockerel from John. The birds I hatched got 3rd and 4th.  ::) My blue cockerel won BV and my blue pullet won RV. BV Lavender was a pullet from John as well. I sold a Lavender pullet from John to a young boy from the Dallas 4H chapter to go with his RV Lavender cockerel from Paul Smith. Lots of people complimented on the birds and had lots of questions. I promoted the breed and the club to all who inquired. I had some nice compliments from Sam Brush as well.

Thanks to John for providing such great stock. I hope I can maintain his great work in the future...

I tried to take some decent pics but it was hot, the birds wouldn't pose for me, the coops were double stacked, and there was a thousand people walking the isles... Here are a few.
Max Strawn

Mike Gilbert

Re: State Fair of Texas Open Poultry Show
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »
Nice going Max, and congratulations.   Was Paul there?   Thanks also for providing photos, and it is always nice when credit is given to the breeder.   John may not show much, but his birds have been the foundation for many, many flocks around the country.  Keep up the good work.

John

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
Congratulations on the wins and thanks for the credit.  You did all work with the birds, but it is always nice to know I'm doing something right in the breeding pens.

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »
Thanks Mike and John!

Paul could not make it. He had a previous family event to attend.

I've been studying and researching genetics very diligently and will continue to do so. Hopefully it will pay off with better and more informed breeding decisions.
Max Strawn