Author Topic: HOTOPA - Fayetteville, Arkansas Show Results  (Read 12241 times)

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
HOTOPA - Fayetteville, Arkansas Show Results
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »
The Heart of the Ozarks Poultry Association held their annual show on November 2, 2013. This was a double show. The first show was the ABC state meet. The second was a special meet. Unfortunately, there were no Ameraucanas shown in the junior show and no bantams shown in any show.  Ameraucanas were represented well in the open show with 34 birds shown by 4 exhibitors. The competition was very close and the judges were scratching their chins trying to decide who the winners were. Here are the unofficial results with pics to follow…

Show 1     State Meet       
BV Black - pullet - Max Strawn  -  BB CH AOSB  Bred by John Blehm
RV Black - cockerel -  Clifton Reddon

BV Blue - pullet - Sharon Caywood
RV Blue - pullet - Max Strawn

BV Wheaten - pullet - Clifton Reddon
RV Wheaten - N/A

BV Splash - pullet - Clifton Reddon
RV Splash - pullet - Clifton Reddon

BV Lavender - pullet - Clifton Reddon
RV Lavender - pullet - Max Strawn - Bred by John Blehm

Show 2     Special Meet       
BV Black - cockerel - Clifton Reddon - BB CH AOSB 
RV Black - pullet - Sharon Caywood - RB RES AOSB 

BV Blue - cockerel - Max Strawn
RV Blue - pullet - Max Strawn

BV Wheaten - pullet - Clifton Reddon
RV Wheaten - N/A

BV Splash - pullet - Clifton Reddon
RV Splash - pullet - Clifton Reddon

BV Lavender - pullet - Max Strawn - Bred by John Blehm
RV Lavender - pullet - Clifton Reddon

I had a great time visiting with Clif and Sharon and hope to see them and others in Shawnee, Oklahoma for our South Central District meet!
Max Strawn

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: HOTOPA - Fayetteville, Arkansas Show Results
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
More pics!
Max Strawn

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »
And more pics!!
Max Strawn

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »
 Max, this one has near - perfect type in my estimation.  Obviously birds can't be judged by a single photo, but I would take her home in a heartbeat.   Do you happen to remember whose bird it was and how she placed?

http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2165.0;attach=3434;image

The next one is a real good bird too, but just from the pictures the first one looks superior.

http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2165.0;attach=3402;image
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:26:14 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »
This one is OK until you get to the tail.  It's too long and too low.  A little shallow in the chest too.

http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2165.0;attach=3436;image

This one does not have a proper Ameraucana tail.  Too fan shaped and too high.  A little too short in the body also.  Or it may be just a bad camera angle?

http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2165.0;attach=3423;image
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:35:10 PM by Mike Gilbert »

John

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:12:15 PM »
Max,

Not just congratulations to all the winners, but special thanks to you for taking the time to share the results and photos.  They are some very nice looking birds and the fall colors can't be beat!

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 10:13:05 PM »
Mike,

The first two are my birds, both purchased from John as day old chicks. The first one placed 2nd in the first show. Thanks again to John for providing such great stock. He has done an amazing job with his birds. Out of 13 blacks, over half are show quality! (IMO)

Thank you for your evaluations! Sometimes I feel helpless when I look across the yard at all the birds trying to judge them. Your explanations will come in handy.

The last two belong to Sharon Caywood. She has done an exellent job with her birds. Only being able to raise about 30 or so each year, she has produced many winners!

John,

It was my pleasure! I have rediscovered my passion for poultry that I thought was lost when I left home and started my own family.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:34:21 PM by Max »
Max Strawn

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:36 AM »
Max, you have done a great job with your chickens, and a great job posting the results of our two Ameraucana shows. Linda and I had a great time visiting with you,Tonya,Sharon and Jan. its not very often I get to talk to so many people in a day who's brain is wired for CHICKEN. Good job Sharon on your pullet that won reserve AOSB, and your blue pullet that won BV. Thanks again Max for your time and effort, on the show reports and pictures

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »
Clif - I really like the black cockerel you won RV in the state meet and BB CH AOSB in the special meet with. Whose lines did he come from? I may need to purchase eggs out of him :-)

John - Don't you think a picture of Clif's cockerel would be a nice replacement for the one on the website? He has a much nicer comb.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »
Thanks Max and Clif for your kind words and company at the meet.  Also, for your birds.  ;)  I know just who I am going to put that pullet with next spring.  I really enjoyed hanging with you guys at the show.  Congrats on your wins.  You know I love your cockerals Clif and Max your pullet will be hard to beat!  I don't know if Jan hangs around this place, but with her starts and passion for birds we may see more of her around at Ameraucana meets!
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
  As I look them over more closely, I believe those two black pullets were the best birds in the show, with Sharon's blue pullet coming in a close 3rd.    I think the blue could go on our website as well.  I know its just photos, which can be deceiving, but I'm not seeing any male birds as good as those three.

Debbie

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
Thanks for the photos and critques. I was taking photos of most my birds yesterday. I have a black cock that has me alittle confused. So this post is great.  I'm going to start a thread later with some pics, but this one is really helpful. Beautiful birds!

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
Thanks Sharon, that is actually 2 different birds. The one I won RB with in the first show I bought from Sharon Caywood as a day old chick, I also got some very nice pullets in that purchase. The foundation stock I bred the champion AOSB in the secound show came from Paul Smith.I like both of them the one I breed out of Pauls birds has a nice small comb with a good shape. Thanks again! I'm looking forward to Shawnee.

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
Thank you Mike.

John

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
but if his male combs get much smaller, you will have to wait four months to figure out if you have a male or female on your hands!

Just the way I like 'em! ;)  I know there is a standard and Mike has told me many times that the comb doesn't count for much in judging, but I've always bred for the smallest combs that follow the skull.  Other than the overall type, the head is the first area that I look at and the comb is a big (or small) part of that. 
Another thing that caught my eye with those photos is the eye color on some or most of those blacks is very good.  Jerry De Smidt's blacks at the national meet also impressed me with good eye color.  That is one of the last areas that I felt really needed improvement with LF blacks and I'm seeing a lot of improvement lately.