Author Topic: Ice Storm  (Read 5027 times)

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Ice Storm
« on: December 16, 2013, 02:42:40 PM »
Sorry John,

I should have started a new thread for this. I will try to be more precise in the future...  :D
Max Strawn

jeeperspeepers-r4us

Re: Ice Storm
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »
I like your setup. Looks like you had some damage from the large branches that fell. Did you loose any birds from the storm.

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »
Thanks! The damage was small. Only the overhang on one side of the roof. No casualties but when that big branch fell it probably took a few years off of their lives. lol! My poor pecan trees used to be about 75 feet tall. Now they are about 50 feet tall...
Max Strawn

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »
I love your pens Max!  You obviously spent alot of time on them.  Glad nothing was damaged.  Your pecan trees will survive!

Remember the 09 ice storm I told you about?  Here's what my place looked like:

The last pic is my chicken pen.  Somehow, despite being surrounded with trees, it survived.

Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Thank you Sharon! :)  It has been quite time consuming and i'm not finished yet. But are we ever really finished? ::)  Wow! Thats a lot of ice! And the downed power lines... how long were you without power? We were only out for 24 hours.
Max Strawn

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
LOL.  No, we are never ever finished!  We think we are, but something always needs repair or re-design.  Hubby's first words to me on his first days off are always, "What are we doing with the chickens this week?".  Poor guy.  ;D

I can't remember exactly, but it was a long time.  I'm thinking around 10 days.  City always gets taken care of first and they were hammered.  It was a very extensive ice storm.  I remember hearing about folks in the really rural areas of north central Arkansas that were a month without power.  Luckily, we have propane for heat and a couple of generators kept the fridge and freezer running.  Neighbors had a whole freezer of beef that was starting to thaw and luckily we had an extra generator for them to borrow.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
Looks like you have a great set up.  You're fighting the same type of ice storms we have here most often.  We have great trees to give us and the birds a break in the summer.  But they are a real liability in ice and wind storms.  I'm thinking I need to into some of the old muscadine trellis ideas.  At least you had power back fairly soon.
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:42:43 AM »
Thanks Don! I have to tip my hat to all of you that live up north. I don't think I could deal with that much cold weather for that long. I am definitely a warm weather person! It may get cold here but it usually doesn't last long. It was 72 degrees here on Thursday.
Max Strawn