Author Topic: Dark color splashes in Wheaten variety down  (Read 5905 times)

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Dark color splashes in Wheaten variety down
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:29:35 AM »
I tried to post this a few days ago but the photo was too large and I haven't figured out how to decrease the image size on this camera yet.  Last weekend some chicks hatched that should be Wheaten/Blue Wheaten or Splash Wheaten.  One of the chicks had about 4 tiny little splashes of very dark, almost black feathers on it's back.  I'm sure this isn't a good thing but could someone tell me what it might be from?  One of my Wheaten hens has black feathers in her hackles and I just learned at the Stockton, CA Poultry Show that this isn't desireable.  Maybe the chick is from one of her eggs?
One more question I have is about the little dark spot on top of the head on this variety.  I remember it being mentioned on the Forum and I think it's desireable but what does it mean?
I've been reading the Genetics Mini Series and some other sources to try and get a better understanding of chicken genetics but I've got a long way to go.  Thanks for the help.  Linda

Mike Gilbert

Re: Dark color splashes in Wheaten variety down
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:43:57 AM »

Those chicks with the small dark spots, if females, are likely to have better tail and wing color as adults.
   I would not worry about them.    Years ago the late judge John Wunderlich sent me an unsolicited shipment of eggs from a terrific line of wheaten Old English bantams.   The chicks all had those spots.  They developed into very nicely colored wheaten bantams, both males and females..

John

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »
One of the chicks had about 4 tiny little splashes of very dark, almost black feathers on it's back.
Linda,

Take a look at the 2nd photo in reply #8 of this topic...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=2028.0

I would be inclined to think your chick may be  eWh/e+ or eWh/eb.
A photo would be very helpful.   

One more question I have is about the little dark spot on top of the head on this variety.  I remember it being mentioned on the Forum and I think it's desirable but what does it mean?
Yes, that is part of the phenotype of a wheaten chick.

Mike, I know you mention "spots".  Are you referring to what Linda called "splashes" on the chick's back or the "spot on top the head"? 

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:08:52 PM »
John, your photo of the silver/wheaten cross shows stripes, not spots.  I take splash to mean irregular spots, not stripes.   Maybe we need to see a photo of the chick(s) in question?   Either way, the O.E. chicks had spots on both their heads and their backs.

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: Photos-Dark color splashes in Wheaten variety down
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »
Here are some photos of the chick with the dark color splashes on it's back.  Let me know if the images aren't clear enough.  Thanks again.  Linda

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re:Photos- Dark color splashes in Wheaten variety down
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »
Here are the rest of the photos.  I learn something new everytime I post on the ABC Forum.  Thanks -  Linda

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »

Looks like normal wheaten coloring to me.   What is your concern?

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
The dark splashes on the back are something I've not seen before in my Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chicks.  The chicks are usually pure yellow or yellow/white with the tiny spot on the head that I mentioned.  The markings on the back in these photos is unusual to me.  This chick is a week old now and the markings on the back were noticeable when it hatched.  Thanks - Linda

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
The dark splashes on the back are something I've not seen before in my Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chicks.  The chicks are usually pure yellow or yellow/white with the tiny spot on the head that I mentioned.  The markings on the back in these photos is unusual to me.  This chick is a week old now and the markings on the back were noticeable when it hatched.  Thanks - Linda

Why don't you toe punch this chick so you can compare it to your others when full grown?   That way you will be able to see what difference, if any, there is.    My money says it turns out better than average.

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »
Thank you Mike, that sounds good and I'm curious to see how it turns out myself.  Linda 

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 11:36:25 AM »
I would be inclined to think your chick may be  eWh/e+ or eWh/eb.
John - After reading more last night, I understand what you mean by the above.  It gives me a reference point to learn more.  Thank you - Linda