Author Topic: Body feather color  (Read 6857 times)

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Body feather color
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Here's another one of my color questions.  This Cockerel is supposed to be Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana but his body color looks dark gray.  He's not from my stock.  He's a cross between stock from one person on the Ameraucana Breeders List, and stock from another person who raises purebred Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, but isn't a part of this group.  I like this Cockerels personality but I don't think the color is okay.  I've found a home for him but would appreciate any input about his coloring before I let him go.  Thank you - Linda

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Re: Body feather color
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
Hi Linda,

I am definitely not the right person to answer this question, but regarding the shade of blue/gray on his chest (you are talking about his chest, right) it may be just like the blue variety...meaning there is light blue and dark blue and a whole lot of shades of blue in between. Does he have any lacing? If he is a nice bird and you like him, maybe breeding him to lighter shaded females will throw nice chicks. I am strictly talking about the gray issue. I am not a blue wheaten breeder and don't know much about their patterns. How about posting more pictures of him?

I love your chicken yard! Looks like a chicken paradise  :)
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:03:23 AM »
Sharon - You're very kind to say you like the yard.  It's actually a mess because I let the chickens roam around.  It is his chest color I'm talking about.  The chest does have lacing and I tried to get a photo but it didn't come out.  It will be a couple of days before I can get more photos.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had a Blue Wheaten with this coloring or if I should give up on him and let him go.  Thanks again - Linda

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »
If it were me, these are the questions I would be asking myself:

Do I like his body type?
How is his comb?
Does he have good eye color and pupils?
Are his legs and toes straight with good color?
Do I have a better male on hand right now?

I would consider all of these questions before I made a decision. I have gotten rid of several males that I wish I wouldn't have because of a small flaw here and there, then ended up with very little to choose from that maybe weren't as good as something I had sold. On the same token though, you don't want to breed to something that has several flaws. Just don't be too quick to get rid of him unless you have something better. If he has some lacing, the shade of blue/gray may be an easy fix if bred to a nice female. This is just my opinion and may not be the advice others would give. 
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:31:52 AM »
The rooster has several good things going for him.   First and foremost is a super clean hackle without striping.   Blue is extremely variable in expression, so it would be a mistake to cull him for the exact shade of blue.   Also, it can be difficult to achieve lacing (edging, really) on the chest area and if he has that, it is another plus.    Seems to have decent size and shape from what can be seen in the photos.   Yes, he has some excess orange in the tail, but I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker.   Why not put up some photos of other males you have that you consider to be better in that variety?

John

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »
The chest does have lacing
He looks more like a wheaten to me than blue wheaten.  Is the "lacing" on the breast black or orange/red?  With all the orange lacing on the tail feathers I assume the breast feathers are the same and would like to see a photo when you have time. 

Here are a couple older similar topics...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=831.msg5188#msg5188
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1019.msg6244#msg6244

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Photos of Body feather color
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:34 AM »
Here are some photos.  The first two are of the Cockerel who's body feather color I originally posted the question about.
Mike had asked about other Cockerels I have which might be better, so I posted the 3rd photo. 
At first I thought the Cockerel in the first two photos was a Wheaten but his color was a little light.   So I thought he might be a darker colored Blue Wheaten.  John mentioned in his last post that he looks more like a Wheaten.
I like the Cockerel in the 3rd photo and plan to keep him.  Both Cockerels get along well together so I'd like to keep them both.  But I wanted some feedback on the coloring of the lighter one.  Thanks again for all your help.  Linda

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »

How about a shot from the front of the last rooster, the wheaten.   The first one has some serious issues in his chest coloring.

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »
Thanks for the honesty Mike.  I'll get the other photo as soon as I can.  Thanks - Linda

John

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
serious issues in his chest coloring
I thought the lacing would be off color, because of the off color in the tail.  They seem to go together and Barbara Campbell and I discussed it several years ago when she was working to improve her LF wheatens/blue wheatens.

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
More photos - Body feather color
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:37:52 PM »
How about a shot from the front of the last rooster, the wheaten.   The first one has some serious issues in his chest coloring.
These two photos are of the Wheaten.  Both of these Cockerels are 6 months old and came from the same person and the same hatch.  I like this Wheaten.  He has some color issues but he's better than the first one which I'm not sure is Wheaten or Blue Wheaten.  I think this Wheaten's good points outweigh the bad.   Again I thank you for your honest opinions and comments.  Linda

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »
Okay, far from perfect, but better than the blue wheaten.   Something to work with.   The muffs and beard will turn black in time.   

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 06:38:42 PM »
Mike - You seem so disappointed in this little Wheaten Cockerel I wanted you to know I still have an 11 month old Wheaten Cockerel that hatched from my flock this year and will continue to use him in my main breeding program.  I've already been told by another Wheaten breeder on the ABC that my 11 month old was better than the two new ones we've been discussing in this post.  This year at Stockton Show I got BV & RB for a Blue Wheaten Cockerel that came out of the same trio/group as my 11 month old.  So there's potential in what I have.  I'll keep this last little Wheaten I sent photos of but will work with him in a separate group.  I learned a tremendous amount from the comments I got from you and John and Sharon.  Thank you all for sharing your knowledge so freely.  I sent an email to Don Cable yesterday and hope I get a chance to meet him.  Thanks - Linda

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »

That is good to know.   The wheaten pictured will at least make a back-up for you in case something would happen to the 11 month old rooster.   Other than color problems they didn't look too bad, except both were quite shallow breasted.    A good full (prominent) chest is most desirable.   If you get a chance to meet with Don, please tell him I said hello.   And best of luck with your breeding program.