Author Topic: Culling for Duckfoot  (Read 11574 times)

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Culling for Duckfoot
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:22:29 PM »
I am wondering, when should you cull for duckfoot? Should it be as soon as they hatch or should you let them grow for a while and see if it straightens out?
Max Strawn

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Re: Culling for Duckfoot
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »
Can you post a picture of the one with the duckfoot?
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Russ

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:53:09 AM »
I have never seen it straighten out in my experience. I personally cull any and all chicks with DQ's of any sort. I do not even take them to the local poultry auction were they are mainly purchased for eating. That is were most my birds go when it becomes evident they are not up to my standards. Last thing I want is to have birds with DQ's end up in some ones backyard and into "there breeding program". I don't even list them as Ameraucana when I take them there to be auctioned.

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »
I'll give it one week and then they're gone... I don't think it will straighten out. I thought maybe it was just from being in the shell a little too long. Live and learn. (Cliché to increase one's knowledge by experience)

Max Strawn

jerryse

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:29:24 AM »
I'll give it one week and then they're gone... I don't think it will straighten out. I thought maybe it was just from being in the shell a little too long. Live and learn. (Cliché to increase one's knowledge by experience)

Consider all things to be genetic until proven otherwise.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:28 PM »

Consider all things to be genetic until proven otherwise.

But if you cull so soon, how could one prove otherwise...just saying. Or I guess asking  :)
If it's out of some of your best birds, I'd give it an extra week.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:26:20 PM by Sharon Yorks »
Sharon Yorks

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
I have plenty to choose from so anything that looks suspect or weak will have to go. It sounds harsh but I don't want to take any chances on continuing a noticeable defect.
Max Strawn

Russ

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
Couldn't have said it better Jerry, and live and learn is the right attitude. Anytime I can learn from somebody else's mistakes/experience I am all for it. Time is one thing a person can never get back so why waste it by making the same mistakes? Good thing about this club is all I have to do is follow the foot prints in the sand  :D. Most the "Gurus" have done all the hard work in establishing what we have,

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »
Has it shown up before out of the same parents or any close relatives? Do you know who the parents are to that specific chick?
Sharon Yorks

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »
They are all coming from the same pen. I'm getting about 1 in every 25 or so. There is no visual trace of it in the parents. I believe the cockerel is a carrier because he has produced these from different pullets. It's ashame to because he is really nice. :(
Max Strawn

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
Did you end up culling your cockerel Max? I ask because I think my duck foot carrier is my main cock bird too. He shows no visible signs of the deformity either, but seems to be the one throwing it to most of his offspring. I originally thought it was just coming from one pairing, though it appears I was wrong.  I'm seeing duck foot in both genders as well. This sucks.  :(
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 11:38:28 AM »
If the parents don't show duck foot, then it is caused by one or more recessive genes.   That means your male bird AND at least one female are carriers.  Close relatives of the cock would be the most likely suspects. 

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
I still have him for now, until I have time to cull him and several others... Mike, I think your analysis is spot on. I removed the pullets which were the closest relation to the cockerel for the last three weeks of hatching.  The remaining pullets were the ones I got from John. I did not get any chicks with duckfoot from the last three hatches. But, knowing that the cockerel is a carrier, I will cull him.
Max Strawn

Russ

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
Food for thought...like Mike said it is a recessive gene. You could keep him to test mate all the pullets individually to help eliminate any pullets that will have it before you cull him? You could even use him now with the hens you have to help find out which ones are the culprits. Then keep one of the hens (that have recessive gene) to test mate your cockerels to help eliminate any that carry it. I have noticed the same problem in my Silver Bantams and it seems to be the quickest way I have came up with to help eliminate it in them. Anybody that has a quicker method short of culling the whole flock I am open to suggestions? It kind of makes it hard when they are really nice birds  :(, sometimes it seems I take two steps forward and one step back all in the same year lol

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »
Well, It's not too late for someone to change my mind for me... ;) Opinoins? Is he worth saving??

I have many of his offspring to choose from as a replacement if one turns out better than him.
Max Strawn