Author Topic: Wheaten chick colors  (Read 8852 times)

Wheaten chick colors
« on: March 17, 2006, 10:42:45 AM »
Greetings fellow Ammers!
In Wheaten and Blue Wheaten I have had chicks that are all white, all yellowish and both these colors that have spotting on the back.  Anywhere from one or two flecks to almost what I call \"chipmunk\" striping.  Can any of you experienced breeders or genetic geeks ;)comment on how this turns out in the finished birds? One thought,-and I\'m ignorant,-is could it have to do with lacing? thanks

John

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:40:13 PM »
comment on how this turns out in the finished birds?

Sure, but you may think I sound like a smart alec...they turn out with the colors and patterns of their parents.  
Here is a link to a photo of chicks on our ABC website:  http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook_files/wheatenb.jpg
Your chicks should look very similar to the ones in the photo.  You will notice a bit of a dark stripe on the tops of their heads.  Also note that wheaten, blue wheaten and buff chicks take several weeks before their legs turn dark.
There are also photos of adult birds on the Photos page of the website.

Mike Gilbert

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 02:22:32 PM »
I have noticed that the wheaten chicks from my bantams that do have spots in their chick down seem to have better tail and wing color when they are grown than the  chicks that are hatched with no spots.    Years ago John Wunderlich mailed me a setting of wheaten O.E.Game eggs.   I didn\'t order them, didn\'t care much for the O.E. then or even now.   But I hatched the eggs, and every chick had spots.   They grew up to be very nicely colored.    John was the premier breeder of wheatens back in those days and I think he knew what he was doing.    These days I am selecting my female wheaten breeders for as much slate undercolor on the back as possible, as it seems to prevent them from losing their tail color when they go through the adult moult.

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 07:24:39 PM »
Now  Mike come on..without OEGB\'s there would be a whole lot less birds at most shows in many cases not enough for a show to break even.  I\'d have to say without them the  poultry hobby wouldn\'t be the same.

Mike Gilbert

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 08:03:51 PM »
My apologies Chris.    Actually I never met a breed of chicken I didn\'t like.    I have raised a few O.E. in the past, but don\'t care for the part about cutting off the combs, earlobes, and wattles.    I\'m not squeamish, just don\'t care for it.   I think it gives the O.E. an unfair advantage at shows because comb and lobe faults in the males have been removed.   As far as the birds themselves go, I think the breeders have gone for the \"cute\" look as opposed to being miniature games.   Have seen pictues in P.Press of O.E. males with tails that would make a Rosecomb bantam proud.    Now that\'s all the criticism you will hear from me.   I still think it\'s great so many admire and show them.    But I\'ll stick with improving the Ameraucana bantams as my hobby.

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 09:52:31 PM »
I totaly agree about the tail that is why I try and breed birds to me that look game. As far as the comb part of it well stop and think about it this way if your males have defects or DQ\'s are their sisters going to have the same ones? I frequently show birds in a color varety that are full brothers and sisters.

Now back to the original subject. Could the chipmunk stripes on wheaten chicks be a result of the wild type pattern bred into them? I know many families of Wheaten OE have BB Red bred into them as Wheatens are notorious for loseing their tail length after their first molt, many have a tail about 3\" long.

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 08:51:39 AM »
Quote from: John
Here is a link to a photo of chicks on our ABC website:  http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook_files/wheatenb.jpg.

I am getting a 404 (File Not Found) when I click on the link, as well as when I cut and paste it. Can you check to see if the file has been moved please? Thanks.

John

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 09:14:39 AM »
Try the link now.  I edited it by deleting the period that I had typed at the end of the sentence.  It was being looked at as part of the link.

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 09:36:56 AM »
It\'s interesting that this topic should come up. I have been hatching some (very deliberate) Ameraucana x Marans crosses, working to obtain what we call Olive Eggers (please don\'t yell at me about this, I do not sell them and would never do so as anything other than mutts.)

Normally, an Olive Egger has Cuckoo coloring with a pea comb and are generally out of Amer hens, sired by Marans cocks. But in my last two hatches, two with really odd coloring came out of Marans eggs, meaning their sire was the Amer cock, and dam a Marans hen.

I am pretty sure the hen is one I have who has a golden cast to her feathers. She came from a local breeder who  did not know the bloodline, so who knows what genetics are in there, and I may well sell her due to this. But now, some photos:

Here is a link to a purebred Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana chick:

And here are links to the Olive Egger who hatched out of a Marans egg:

Here\'s the same chick at about four weeks:

And here\'s the chick now, at about six weeks
:

It\'s pretty obvious his father was my Wheaten cock, but his hackles are a lighter gold than wheaten, and his feathering is odd. I don\'t know enough poultry genetics to comment, perhaps someone else can? I do know I\'ve gotten two other chicks who look just like this, with luck one will be a pullet and I can try breeding them together to see if it breeds true. At any rate, a fun experiment in genetics...

Blue Egg Acres

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 10:26:35 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
I have noticed that the wheaten chicks from my bantams that do have spots in their chick down seem to have better tail and wing color when they are grown than the  chicks that are hatched with no spots.

Mike, have you noticed that those chicks also tend to have more hackle striping? In my experience, the heavier the spotting/striping in the down color, the heavier the hackle striping as adults.

John

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 11:45:12 AM »
we call Olive Eggers

I know this is getting off the subject, but years ago I was temped to cross a Cornish with an Ameraucana to see if they would produce a good meat bird like the Cornish Rock crosses.  I didn\'t get around to it, but thought I would call them CornAucanas!  :D

Mike Gilbert

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 10:38:12 PM »
Barb, I think it depends on the line you are working with.   The Wunderlich bantams were spotted, and yet the males developed no black in the hackles.    So I sure wouldn\'t cull early based on chick down color.

Mike

Wheaten chick colors
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 06:53:01 AM »
A real problem in bantams is the color description on wheaten males is different in the APA and ABA , go a step further and how can you breed a blue wheaten male to match the color desciption if the blue wheaten desciption is for blue red? Chris