Author Topic: Perfect age to show  (Read 2717 times)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Perfect age to show
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:06 PM »
I am curious as to what people think the age of a cockerel and/or pullet should be to be in perfect feather condition and maturity to show?

Also, in the case of the National Meet coming up the first week in October, what would be the earliest a bird could be hatched that you wouldn't have to be too concerned with them molting by then?
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect age to show
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »
I have had good luck with showing cockerels at 8 months old in LF. Pullets at 7-8 months old. I usually don't start hatching until mid march and have had few problems with molting for early Oct - early Nov shows. But with Global Warming, that is subject to change! I suppose the area of the country and different temperatures you live in might change your results.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:05:04 PM by Birdcrazy »
Gordon Gilliam

Russ

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:13:14 PM »
I think you are about to get a lot of different answers here lol. My experience is different varieties tend to mature at different rates. My L.F. BBS look decent by 6-7mo but my LF Silvers tend to take a little longer to really fill out and look there best in my eyes. Now all my Bantams (Silver, BBS, Lavender) are as good as they are going to get by 6 months. The molting.....all I can relay is this. When I asked Mike Gilbert at Fowl Fest when is a good time to hatch bantams for fall shows he mentioned March to start so molting would not become an issue. Last year was my first show entered and had a barely 5 mo old Cockerel Bantam place really good  ;). I do know this, I am taking most of my breeders to auction this weekend just to make room so I can get my prospects properly caged and start my conditioning because I am so stoked for this Fall lol

John

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:44:07 PM »
5 mo old
Breeds, varieties, feed, the weather and whatever come into play, but 5 months is the youngest that I've had Ameraucanas ready to show.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »
I have a December 16th black cockerel that is looking mighty good right now and I was wondering if by October, what would be the chances of him not molting and/or how to keep him from molting.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)