Author Topic: DOES MOULTING AFFECT LIBIDO IN ROOSTERS?  (Read 3675 times)

Patricia Vidalin

DOES MOULTING AFFECT LIBIDO IN ROOSTERS?
« on: June 06, 2014, 03:45:38 PM »
I have borrowed a 14 month old Lavender LF rooster who is presently moulting.  He has been with me for a couple months.  His attempts at mating are very lacklustre.  He seems to make all the right moves, dropping his wing, circling and even if the hen crouches in front of him he will walk away.  Is there a "Tonic" to help this guy?  Thanks!!

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Re: DOES MOULTING AFFECT LIBIDO IN ROOSTERS?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »
The production of new feathers does require extra protein.  I would think it would affect the rooster somewhat.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 12:14:57 PM »
In conversations I've had with Paul Smith he has told me Roosters are sterile while molting. I don't know if every rooster molting is sterile, but I do know when the quill of the feather is developing and full of blood (a green feather) they are touchy because those feathers are very tender. A rooster may not do some things he would normally do while molting.

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 08:47:05 AM »
Clif I was looking back on some notes from a mentor of mine he had told me not to try to breed a moulting rooster because i would not have good results and the man was Charlie Carr, he told me that less then 5% would not hatch. And Mr Curtis Blackwell of Jasper Al had done a study on this i have the data some where but can not find it. I have kept these notes for over 30 years.
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »
I'm sure Mr Carr and Mr Blackwell have that knowledge on good authority. Hey Jeff I haven't gotten a Wheaten rooster in the mail, do you think he got lost? :)

Patricia Vidalin

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »
Thanks very much for your input - It seemed logical to me that if a hen stops laying while moulting a rooster might be going through something as well.  Worse case scenario, he is a dud.  Time will tell.