Author Topic: Pens  (Read 3613 times)

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Pens
« on: June 17, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
I have a 24x28 car port that I plan on making pens it has a dirt floor would u guys put a wood floor or not this is going to be my winter project I have both wood and dirt floors they all have runs but these will  not have a run? Just wanting feedback.
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

John

Re: Pens
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:17:57 PM »
Please give more details about how this will house the birds. 
Is it going to be one big coop type area for a flock?
Are there going to be many small coops...raised or on the floor/ground?
Are the sides going to have walls and be enclosed?

If it is a big grow-out style pen I would go with the dirt floor and straw bedding.  That is easy to clean with a pitchfork.
If you use wood shavings, then a concrete or wood floor would be easier to clean with a scoop shovel.

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »
John we are planning on takeing the back half and making pens ok 14 x 24 the left side will have 6 pens 4 5x41/2 and 2 that will be 4 x4 1/2  and a 3 foot walk way. Now the right side will be 2 5x12 and 1 4x12 . And the front half we are planing on putting conditioning pens and holding pens  I have done wire the and installed 4 8foot double fluorescent lights .  All this is going to be a winter project I am not a very good planer Cheryl is a lot better at this than I she just has a lot on the her plate now taking care of her mother . The walls will be half wood half wire with doors to open in the summer time that is on the outer walls.
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »
John this weekend I will get Sharon to help us post a picture or two of my shed then u can give me more feed back on how to build and your thoughts u do have me thinking of half for grow out pen
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance