Author Topic: 2015 Ameraucana National Meet  (Read 14527 times)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
2015 Ameraucana National Meet
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »
  I'm seeking input from the forum readers.  We have been in pursuit of a poultry show to host our 2015 national Ameraucana meet for several months.  Sedalia, MO. has held our national twice by two different poultry clubs.  The first national ever held in the South-Central district on Oct. 15, 2005.  The other national meet was held in Oct. 2012.  The Missouri State Poultry Association has agreed to hold our 2015 national on Oct. 24.  It is a one day double judged show.  We sent request to Hutchinson, Kansas; Ill-MO in Highland, Ill.; Frankfort, Kentucky; Shelbyville, Kentucky; and Fayetteville, Arkansas.  There are only two clubs from these interested in hosting our ABC national meet which normally increases a show about 200 head.  The other one is the Heart of the Ozarks in Fayetteville, Arkansas.  This is also a one day doubled judged show.  They can hold 1200.  The largest that they have had is 1000.  It is the first Saturday in November 7, 2015.

Any and all input on these two, Sedalia, MO.; and Fayetteville, Arkansas poultry shows would be appreciated.  We have shown at both!  Need to know if you would bring some of your Ameraucanas to support our 2015 national!

Paul Smith
Paul Smith

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Ameraucana National Meet
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »
Paul, I think either would be good. I know Shawnee isn't until mid December but they have a very nice facility. Last year there was over 1200 birds there. Linda and I plan to be there where ever there is. Thanks for all your hard work on getting next year's national placed.

Bear River Farm

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:09:06 AM »
Missouri would be our preference since it is closer to Colorado ;D

Schroeder

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
I would plan to participate at either location.
Duane

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »
 I will not participate in another double judged one day show.   But I do respect the opinions of others, so
go ahead and plan the meet in the best way that meets the approval of the majority. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:40:22 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
I would prefer the Missouri location for me due to the closer location and the Oct vs Dec show dates. I was planning on this years nationals, but date conflicts changed my plans. Lucasville is just about the limit for me to travel to shows.
Gordon Gilliam

lorpman

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
I don't participate in one day double judged shows so will go with the opinion of others. I'm sure it will be the right decsion for most.  Jim

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:41:02 PM »
I will participate wherever it is held. Paul, let me know if I can help with anything.
Mike, I'm curious as to why you choose not to attend a one day double judged show...
Max Strawn

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »

I suspect my reasons are similar to Jim's - and many others.   There is not enough time to do everything justice in one day to begin with.   And then when you try to squeeze two sets of judging into one day, it can cause judges to hurry through their job, which increases the likelihood of missing things and overlooking others.   Also, birds can win in one show and fail to place in the second - I have seen it happen.  Not much satisfaction when that happens, nor much confidence in the judging.  Finally, I realize shows do this to increase their day's take, but I don't care for the increased entry fees, and I don't like the way it tends to encourage point chasers.   For me it has always been about the birds, not the accumulation of points by the exhibitors.   I have seen people enter 50 or more birds of one variety (not Ameraucanas btw), none of them prepped to be shown, just so the exhibitor could qualify for more points.   

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:25:46 AM »
Thanks for the insight, Mike. That makes sense... I would still attend though just for the camaraderie and to see all the birds. I can't imagine hauling 50+ birds to a show.  :o
Max Strawn

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »
I'd like to see Fayetteville get the National.   :)

For the first time in years I actually saw a few real Ameraucanas at the County fair.  There were still plenty of EE's, but there were a few Ameraucanas there in addition to the few I entered.  I think an Ameraucana National held here could promote the interest.

Fayetteville is a very nice, scenic place to visit.  Plenty of good restaurants, sports bars, hotels, shopping and places of interest.  Also, late October is a perfect time to catch the fall colors.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
How about near the beach and some historical charm? ;)

The Hobby Farmer's Association of the PeeDee has agreed to host our National, if we'd like for them to. Here is a link to their site:
http://www.peedeehfa.org/

They are APA approved and have held a few poultry shows.   Here is a link to their show this year:
http://www.peedeehfa.org/event/pee-dee-poultry-show/
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

John

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
The Hobby Farmer's Association of the PeeDee has agreed to host our National, if we'd like for them to.
Paul has to place it in his SC (South Central) District and from what I can tell this "Pee Dee" region is in the state of SC, which is in the Eastern District.

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »
Hi Sharon, is the show in Fayetteville  still the 1st week  in November?

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
I've never been to a double show, sounds like a lot of work.

The beach does sound like fun Susan.  But if we go to Arkansas we can take John down to visit the Clinton Library and visit P Allen Smiths place along the river.   Some say it's quite the place.  I heard that one of our members was there this summer to pick up some Wyandottes. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9