Author Topic: Masters Cup Poultry Show  (Read 9159 times)

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Masters Cup Poultry Show
« on: October 20, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
Is anyone planning to enter this show? I have been considering it for a while. I know I may be out of my league but I think it would be fun to attend. There is one week left to decide...  :-\
Max Strawn

John

Re: Masters Cup Poultry Show
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
Mike Gilbert and I are going with the wives.  I'm not into baseball so I don't know about the leagues. ;)  I may enter one or two birds and have a good time.
Hope to see you there.

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »
Ok! I'm leaning a little more towards attending. From what I've read it's supposed to be like the "Superbowl" of poultry shows. I bet there will be a lot of solid black and solid white birds. They are hard to beat.
Max Strawn

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:19:37 PM »
There will also be random drawings for cash prizes, one chance per bird entered.   That's about the only prize I would have a chance for this year.   I'll probably enter four to seven birds.

John

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
It is always nice to win, but I'm not competitive and treat shows as mini vacations.  It'll be a good reason to get together to visit friends, relax and play a few hands of euchre.  The part I'm looking forward to the most is the tour of McMurray Hatchery. 
The ladies aren't into the birds at all, but are very close/good friends and they'll do what they like to do while Mike and I enjoy the show. 

Russ

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
Man that sounds like the grand daddy of the poultry shows  :o

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »
It definitely is a new concept.   $25 per bird entry fees, large cash prizes, ongoing commentary by the judge during the judging, an entertainer emcee, educational seminars, hatchery tour, dress up, white table cloth dinner, etc.   It definitely will not be the largest show of the year in terms of entries, but it promises to be the classiest.   I'm hoping they can come out on it financially so as to be able to make it an annual event.
Here is a link to the show website:   http://mastercuppoultryshow.com/index.php

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »
The part I'm looking forward to the most is the tour of McMurray Hatchery.   
Yep! I hear you John. Some of my best memories as a young boy were ordering chicks from McMurray. I believe it was 1981 when I mailed in my first order. The anticipation of the post office calling was torture! It would be pretty cool to see their operation... Alright, I'm leaning heavily towards going now. ;D
Max Strawn

Beth C

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun! I hope it does become an annual event - is this the first time they've done it? I'd love to take Fuzz for the youth workshop but even if I had the money this year we missed the deadline.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »
Actually, you have until October 27th to have your entry postmarked by.  I have not sent mine in yet.  Yes, this is something new this year. 

Beth C

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »
For some reason the deadline for the youth workshop was Oct. 1st. Not sure why it was so early, almost a full month earlier than the deadline for show entries. ???

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 08:35:02 AM »
Mailed my entry yesterday, right at the deadline.  Ended up entering only four birds, including one bantam White Ameraucana cockerel.  Had a few others I was hoping would be ready, but they won't be.   John said he entered a LF Black Ameraucana pullet.   Is anybody else showing?   This was really a tough decision, as that weekend is the opening of the Wisconsin whitetail gun season.

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:02:56 AM »
I entered eight. Six LF Blacks and two LF Blues. Enough for an exhibitor display plus one. I am an avid deer hunter myself but I only hunt with archery equipment. There will be plenty of time to hunt. This show is only for one weekend... ;)
Max Strawn

Tailfeathers

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 05:02:49 AM »
Y'all be sure and give us a good report on the show with lots of feedback.  I've been reading about this for months in the PP.  Sounds interesting.  Will be interesting to see if it catches on and continues in the future. 

Max, I'm a bowhunter too.  Unfortunately, since I've got all these birds, and it's just me here to take care of them, I haven't been hunting in several years.  I miss it and am looking forward to getting back to it.

God Bless,

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 06:57:01 AM »
Ronnie Lopes is scheduled to be the emcee for the event.  If you've never met the crazy folks from Bermuda then you're in for a real treat.  A mix of Brits, Portuguese and a few more cultures really makes for an unusual melting pot.  The island is a tiny Mecca for the wealthy, tax corporations, and cruise ships.  So the islanders hop over to our big island for education, shopping and to just get away.    Ronnie is 90 miles an hour in improv mode, everything from song to impersonations to sound effects.  You'll probably forget you are at poultry show once he gets warmed up.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:27:33 AM by John Blehm »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9