Author Topic: Wanted Blue or Splash Cockerel  (Read 3650 times)

Mike Gilbert

Wanted Blue or Splash Cockerel
« on: November 10, 2014, 02:10:21 PM »
This is for a local friend of mine.   He has some good birds, but would like to upgrade with a real good blue or splash male.   Max, by chance would you have one available at the Master Cup show?   I could pick it up for him there.

DeWayne Edgin

Re: Wanted Blue or Splash Cockerel
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 05:20:16 PM »
I had 2 blues that i just gave to Hanna for bringing back my birds. If i knew i would have sent one with her. Sorry.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
It's okay DeWayne, as Jeff does have three pretty good male birds.   He is just looking for something that would be a major improvement to what he has.    Did you get the five brown reds home?   The two females are pretty young yet, but the 3rd pullet is laying.   In the show the smaller cockerel took BV and the pullet RV.   All three females have pretty good chest lacing, but none are up to standard size.   You should consider using the larger male with them first, even though the one in the show has the better temperament.  Good luck with them!

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »
Yes i did Mike and they are doing great! Hanna showed me the two that was in the show. Let me know your thoughts on the Buff please! I like to hear your opinion on him. Thanks.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »
The buff male was for a family in our local poultry club.   They have no other buff male, so they will definitely use him.   He is young and needs time to mature and fill in.   At this stage of development it appears his tail is quite a bit too high and his color is more of an orange than a buff - but it is quite even and without black or white feathers so that part is good.   The proof will be in what he produces with the buff females they already have - and that will be next year some time.   Thanks again for providing him.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 07:04:17 PM »
Thank you Mike. I have been working on getting their feathers that are underneath more tan down to the skin than white. Removing the white down for the most part. His grand mothers line came from Wayne and they were very light colored brown. Thanks for your input.  :)

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 09:25:26 PM »
Max, by chance would you have one available at the Master Cup show?   I could pick it up for him there.

I have several young blue cockerels I have been saving to use as backups. They are just now getting filled out. I will bring a few with me and you can choose the one you like the best.
Max Strawn

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »
Great!   Thank you Max.    We'll see you in Webster City.