Author Topic: Greetings from the Master Cup show!  (Read 7110 times)

Mike Gilbert

Greetings from the Master Cup show!
« on: November 21, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »
Mary &  I, the Blehms, and the Strawns have all arrived in Webster City, IA.    Birds are cooped in, fed & watered, and we are now back at the AmericInn.   Everything is top notch and A-1.   Ronnie Lopes, the emcee, has already been cracking jokes.   The showroom with theatre seating is beautifully furnished and decorated.   Max brought that great blue pullet that won RB at Lucasville, and she is a beauty.   I got the blue cockerel from Max for my friend, Jeff Sonsalla, and he looks to be a very nice bird for a very affordable price.  We have a reception (with food included) at the McMurray hatchery tonight, and a tour of the facility.   Tomorrow night we have a formal banquet at a building on the fairgrounds.   Tomorrow will bring many random drawings for nice cash prizes.    The top placing bird at this show will win a cool $1,000.   
My goal is to have a bird place in the top ten, but there is little chance of that.   Some of the top breeders in the U.S. of old-time breeds are this show:   Peterson with LF Brahmas and bantam Cochins, Rademachers with their top of the line Minorcas, Reds, and their Rock bantams, Roger Meyer with his Wyandotte bantams, Wapsipinicon Waterfowl, and many other master exhibitors and master breeders.  We even have Seramas, Runner ducks, and guineas entered at this show.     Will try to send another report before departing for home Sunday morning.    Remembering to pray for Clif.

Tailfeathers

Re: Greetings from the Master Cup show!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
Sounds great, Mike!  Thanks a lot for the update and info!!  Keep us informed.  Going to prayer closet to confess my envy.

God Bless!

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:35:12 PM »
Judging is complete and we now know the top ten placing birds.   Included in the top ten is a Black Ameraucana LF cockerel shown by Max Strawn.    John Blehm had reserve LF Ameraucana on a black pullet he had not shown before.    Only one bantam Ameraucana is here, and it is a White cockerel, Bob Walchak strain, shown by yours truly.   It took 4th best AOCCL.     We will find out the order of finish among the top ten birds at the banquet tonight.   I did take some photos, and will post some when I get home to my desktop computer.   BTW, Max's black cockerel came from Sharon Yorks, so congrats to Sharon as well!
Having a great time, wishing more of you were here.

Beth C

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 06:46:35 PM »
Way to represent, Max!! Congratulations!

Have fun, guys, can't wait to see pics!

Jan

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
Congrats everyone.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
That is so awesome, Max! I am SO happy for you! Thanks for taking such good care of Clubber and for taking him on to more shows so he could compete. I knew I named that bird right!!!

Clubber... the big black dude who kicked butt in the ring...(Rocky 3)
I'm a huge Rocky fan!  :) 

Congratulations to John, too! Thanks for posting, Mike.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:18:41 PM by Sharon Yorks »
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 07:34:42 AM »
You should have heard the emcee, Ronnie Lopes, doing his Rocky impression!   He was great and told us he had some Ameraucanas at his home in Bermuda - had eggs shipped in from Jamie Matts.   AND he joined the ABC.   One of the first things he did Saturday at the show was get the crowd to sing happy birthday to yours truly (71st - ouch!)  BTW, the black cockerel in the top ten was rated the 10th best bird in the show.  A black Rosecomb pullet by Dr. Bill Patterson was the $1,000 prize winner.   Best I was able to do was 3rd AOCCL on a White Chantecler pullet.  I did win $25 in one of the drawings, and Mary won a $50 gift certificate from McMurray hatchery.   The owner of McMurrays, Bud Wood, was helping to clean up after the banquet, and had employees there helping out as well.   Gotta rethink the whole thing with McMurray's.   Formal banquet last night, dress-up white tablecloth affair catered by one of the best restaurants in the state.  Wonderful time by all.   There are photos on Facebook.   Friend Mark Peterson, as he posted them.

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
Congratulations you guys, it's awesome to see Ameraucanas win and place.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 09:51:21 PM »
Okay, here are some photos as promised: (click on photos to enlarge)
 Max's 10th best bird of show:

John's RB Ameraucana (9 were shown), a pullet previously unshown:

4th best AOCCL (Walchak line cockerel)

The three amigos, Mike, John, and Max.

And their dates, Kathy, Mary, and Tanya

A scene of the showroom floor from the seating area.  No exhibitors could be on the floor during judging.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:42:55 AM by Mike Gilbert »

John

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 11:21:49 PM »
It was an enjoyable weekend with our chickens and chicks (aka dates) ;)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 08:28:17 AM »
This was the first show I can remember where we had the national anthem sung just before the judging started and the exhibitors all retired to the seating area.   We also had the pledge of allegiance to the flag at the beginning of the banquet led by Bart Pals son in the military, dressed in full uniform.   And a check presented to him for the Wounded Warrior foundation, donated from show proceeds.   Many drawings for cash awards during the show, $25 to $100 each, and many more prizes at the banquet.  It's pretty amazing what a higher entry fee can accomplish to enhance a show.

Okay, here are a few more shots:

Bart Pals speaking at the formal dinner Saturday evening.

Dr. Bill and Sharee Patterson accepting the $1,000 prize for top bird in show (Black Rosecomb pullet)

Emcee Ronnie Lopez and guitarist belting out "Sweet Caroline."  Sounded just like Neil Diamond himself.

John explaining Ameraucanas to a young visitor and her mother.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:53:44 AM by Mike Gilbert »

John

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
A few more photos...

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 01:10:04 AM »
Thanks, everyone! Congratulations to all the winners! We had a great time. Mike, Mary, John, and Kathy are some of the nicest people you could ever meet. It was an honor to hang out with them.

This show was worth the trip. Being the relatively new guy, I was humbled by all the poultry veterans surrounding me, although I didn't know most of them. Seeing what they have accomplished with their years of hard work was amazing. I am definitely planning to attend again next year. I hope more ABC members can make it.

The hatchery tour was pretty cool too. Here are some pictures...
Max Strawn

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »
Mike, Max, or John. Do you know how many total entries they had at the Master Cup Show? What did you have to eat for the banquet? Chicken?
Gordon Gilliam

John

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 03:34:54 PM »
There were 157 birds in the show and about 120 youth in another building doing showmanship (I think) and seminars. 
Of course it was chicken, along with beef and pork.  I've never been to a dog show, but I assume they put on the dog.