Author Topic: Rooster's foot  (Read 3296 times)

HortonHillFarm

Rooster's foot
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:11:41 AM »
I would like some help or suggestions about what might be causing this problem.

I have a rooster who constantly picks up his foot and shakes it as if to dislodge something that is stuck to his foot.  We have inspected his feet many times.  There is no sign of anything stuck or embedded in his foot.  He is in a breeding pen by himself and does not have a roost to fly down from.

I have treated for possible mites with pour on Ivermectin.  We have also used a beeswax and St John's wort salve massaged into both feet and legs.  He looks very healthy except for the picking up and shaking of his left leg.

Any thoughts?   Thanks  Bill

Mike Gilbert

Re: Rooster's foot
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Bill, I have one like that too.  He is three years old and has had it since he was about a year old.   He is fertile and produces chicks.   It could be something like gout or arthritis, but I don't really know.

HortonHillFarm

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
My rooster started this behavior at about a year and a half.  He too is fertile and produces chicks.  I had plan to show him at the Northeastern Poultry Congress in Springfield, MA.  Do you think this behavior will cause him to be disqualified or not place as well as he might?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »
It's difficult to say with certainty, but it is doubtful he would display symptoms while being handled and evaluated.   He may very well show it if moved to champion row, so I would not show him.  Your call.