Author Topic: How do I keep hatching eggs separate?  (Read 10358 times)

Maggie Maier

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
How do I keep hatching eggs separate?
« on: January 20, 2015, 08:03:28 AM »
I have 3 different breedings  of eggs hatching hopefully Saturday. 19 eggs total candled. I read about putting them in mesh bags so chicks don't get mixed up. Would someone elaborate on what type of mesh bags to use & some precautions please. I will be around during hatching but don't want to chance chicks getting mixed up. I also have 2 still air incubators ready to put them in to dry off if I need it. But I'll need to divide them somehow also? Suggestions please.
Maggie Maier

Mike Gilbert

Re: How do I keep hatching eggs separate?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »
As long as you have three incubators, if I am reading correctly, why not divide the eggs accordingly and hatch each group in a different incubator?

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »
A lingerie bag works great, the kind that you use in the wash.  You can also do hatches by variety only.

You can then toe punch the chicks from each breeder or variety from each bag and don't forget to write it down.  I have a "chicken" notebook I write my information down in so I don't forget.
Jean

Maggie Maier

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
Mike, I had terrible luck hatching in the 2 little Giant still airs so this time I would just like to use them once they hatch., but thanks
Maggie Maier

John

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 05:02:31 PM »
Another option is putting some wire dividers in the hatch trays.  You have to be quick though when you take off the lid of the chicks may jump over the dividers.

Kitsch6

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
    • Www.frozenacrefarm.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
We have an old Petersime redwood that has multiple dividers.  But on occasion, we have used onion bags.  I prefer the softer type but the holes are bigger and would not be good for bantams.  I close the bag with a twist tie and take the chicks out as soon as they're dry with no issues. 
Christine Kitsch
Frozen Acre Farm

Beth C

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:47:38 PM »
I use suet baskets and they work pretty well for most eggs, but you have to be careful with really big eggs, sometimes they won't fit, or you can't close the lid completely. You can fit several in a Havobator with room to fill in additional eggs around them. But I'm going to give the bags a try, too.

John: I custom built a hatching tray with dividers, shaped to fit my Havobator, even used vinyl coated hardware clothe, was so proud of myself, couldn't wait to try it. The first time I used it I raised the lid and they instantly rolled out in all directions - looked like a swarm of ground bees, lol! Back to the drawing board!  ;D

John

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »
I raised the lid and they instantly rolled out in all directions
Here is what I've done on my newest hatch baskets.  I have some pieces of bent welded wire that I slip over these "fenced in" areas. 

Beth C

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 10:12:22 PM »
I'll have to scale it down, but that's looks like just the ticket! I knew I needed a lid for each compartment but hadn't come up with an easy way to do it. Thanks - I'll let you know how it works out!  :D

Michelle Ogden

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »
I know it's too late for Maggie's hatch, but I thought this might help someone else:
I found these coated wire baskets at Dollar tree this month. Two fit perfectly in my hovabator with room around them for an additional variety. They are 8"x9.5" and are 4.5" high, which means the chicks can't jump out!

Maggie Maier

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 06:56:19 AM »
thank you all. I did make wire tops for 2 plastic baskets and they worked great.
Maggie Maier

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 09:56:43 AM »
How is the hatching going give us a update?
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 03:03:22 PM »
Here's what I'm going to use for my new hatcher. I picked it up at Goodwill. I just have to create separators

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »
It wouldnt let me add more than one photo but here's a side view. It has the manufacturer sticker on it. Im going to try and get two more smaller trays, like the tops one are. So I can have a total of 4 small trays since there is an extra rail
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:08:37 PM by Cesar V. »

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »
I use seperate incubators when i am hatching chicks that are the same color. If you do not have a way to toe punch chicks, you can buy the little colored zip ties. You may need to cut them off and put a new one on every few weeks or so to. Just keep checking to make sure the zip ties don`t get to tight on their legs. This is how i do mine until they are big enough to put leg bands on.