Author Topic: Chick down color  (Read 4629 times)

Maggie Maier

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Chick down color
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
I just hatched a dozen LF BBS chicks. So they are 1 day old. I was expecting to know which ones were black blue and splash but I have two that have brownish down mostly on the head? What color will that be and does the brown hue mean something in the adult? Also both parents were blue no other cock exposed to the pullet for five weeks.
Maggie Maier

John

Re: Chick down color
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:06:01 AM »
First impression is they are not pure for Extended (E) black as blacks should be and are Brown (eb)
Check out http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1733.0

Update...I didn't have the time when I posted to explain much.  I shouldn't have said not "pure" for E and I guess Birchen (ER) is what I think your blue Ameraucanas should be based on, not E anyway.
Some flocks of E and/or ER based birds may not be pure (homozygous) for those genes and may carry eb.  Maybe when a chick inherits eb from each parent it would show the Brown phenotype. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:37:05 PM by John Blehm »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:41:16 PM »
Looks to be crossed with something else.    Do you have another rooster on the place perchance?  Or a Buff Ameraucana rooster?

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »
The only time I have seen this is with cross variety birds or mixes.
Jean

John

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »
I've hatched some like that too before.  Ken Olsen, in Kansas, is working on partridge Ameraucanas and they would be based on eb.  It would be interesting to see if his chicks look similar.

angora831

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:59:28 AM »
I haven't started to collect eggs yet this year.  The hens are just starting to lay again and I am getting a few now that we have had some warmer weather.  The incubator is ready and waiting, so hopefully I can have some pictures up in March or April.  We have had chicks with colors all over the gamut, but the few that seem to pan out were the darker ones.

Ken Olsen