Author Topic: Lemon Blue Wheaten Ameraucana?  (Read 6374 times)

Todd Hawkins

Lemon Blue Wheaten Ameraucana?
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:38:57 AM »
I crossed a BWA hen with a BWA rooster and now folks are telling me one of the resulting birds is a Lemon Wheaten. 

Is this true?  How does this happen?  Is the bird simply an easter egger?

jerryse

Re: Lemon Blue Wheaten Ameraucana?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:41 AM »
I was unable to enlarge the picture for a better look  To me he seems to be golden blue wheaten  . That is to say carrying both silver and gold . There are a few ways this could happen . The first is a mutation . Although rare mutations do happen . The second is the hen could be a silver blue wheaten . Silver can be hard to detect in a wheaten type hen . The third is from my personal experience crossing a wheaten Ameraucana to a hatchery type Faverole . I got a wheaten looking male that was carrying silver . I was told this could not be . I crossed wheaten and silver once to improve silver size . Maybe someone made this cross and used a female carrying silver undetected in their Wheaten breeding pen .

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:26:20 AM »
I think Jerry is right on the money.   Apparently somebody needs to keep better records so they can warn their customers.    Silver wheaten can be difficult to distinguish from regular wheaten in females (gold wheaten if you will), but it sure does show up in the males. 

John

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
I crossed a BWA hen with a BWA rooster and now folks are telling me one of the resulting birds is a Lemon Wheaten. 

Is this true?  How does this happen?  Is the bird simply an easter egger?

By definition he is an Easter Egger.  I would like to see a photo of the hen that produced him, if you have one of her.  If her carries silver (S), and likely does, her hackle should be very light along with other areas that would normally be wheat colored on a blue wheaten.
Besides the possibilities Jerry mentioned, is it possible a different cock was the sire?

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
Mike I agree with the customer warning.  Several years back I bought black chicks from a well known Ameraucana  breeder. I culled  all but one pullet because they were to small. I begin using the pullet and like clock work every tenth chick came silver. I know it was the pullet because I used  another  black cock over the hen with the same results. I  like to line breed, so not knowing cost me some time .

Todd Hawkins

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »
Here is another pic of the rooster.

Todd Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 06:58:37 PM »
Here is a pic of the hen that produced the "Lemon" rooster.

Todd Hawkins

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
Here is another pic of the hen that produced the "lemon' rooster.

Todd Hawkins

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 07:03:34 PM »
And lastly, here is a pic of the sire.  Thanks to everyone that has taken an interest in my post. 

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »
Todd, the mother has to be silver wheaten, which makes the cockerel a gold/silver split.   Call him lemon wheaten, whatever.    Bred back to regular wheaten females, he will produce about half regular wheaten in both genders.  The other half would be silver wheaten females and split males like himself.    Bred back to his mother you would get about half pure silver wheatens - although you may have to deal with autosomal red in the males.   Otherwise those males should look like silver duckwings. 

jerryse

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 09:29:21 AM »
The silver wheaten with red shoulders could be called salmon . This would be easier and a easy way to go back and forth in the two colors . I would call the split males golden wheaten . Just like golden duckwing in games . Just my thoughts .