Author Topic: New Breeder's Directory format  (Read 27274 times)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Re: New Breeder's Directory format
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
Yes, that would be my concern.  That some may not see it and we would be missing out on contacts.

It has nothing to do with my being antsy.  Maybe technologically inept, idk, but not antsy.  Updates are a pain in the rear for me for some reason.  They never finish or install properly.  I always end up having to cancel out of updates because they tend to stall.  I'm thinking it may be me being at the end of the line.  I'm sure there are many just like me, not too tech savy to solve computer issues.  Thus my keep it simple concept to include everyone.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:17:55 PM by greeneggsandham »
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Susan Lussos

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 03:33:03 PM »
Hi Folks

FWIW, I would like a straight HTML page, no JavaScript, no CSS, no extra loading,  of all the breeders in straight alphabetical order, that I can just do a CTL F (Win-Linux) on and find what I want.  Thanks

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 04:54:57 PM »
Hi Folks

FWIW, I would like a straight HTML page, no JavaScript, no CSS, no extra loading,  of all the breeders in straight alphabetical order, that I can just do a CTL F (Win-Linux) on and find what I want.  Thanks

Hi Sue

I can understand not wanting a page with JavaScript. There are lots of folks that prefer not to have JS files loaded. The js that runs the sort feature on the interactive breeder's directory is a very "light" piece of code, but it is still additional load  - particularly for those who are on older machines, browsers, or slower dial-up type internet access.

Of course, the .pdf file gives you all the functionality of a straight html, without the extra load. However, the way it is set up now, you have to load the page to get to the .pdf. So, what I can do is add a link to the .pdf from the "Downloads" page, so you can bypass the breeder's directory, if you so desire.  You can also opt to turn off java script in your browser: of course that turns it off for all websites, not just this page on this website.

Now, let's talk about CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets. The entire website is built with CSS, but there is no additional load for a website visitor. There are many pros to CSS development - among them, better website consistency, faster web development, standardized formats, etc.

Not using CSS would mean a major overhaul of the entire website, as well as higher maintenance time going forward. If you could share why you don't like CSS, maybe I can help figure out a way for you to avoid it.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 07:20:09 PM »
Hi Folks

Hi Sue

I can understand not wanting a page with JavaScript. There are lots of folks that prefer not to have JS files loaded. The js that runs the sort feature on the interactive breeder's directory is a very "light" piece of code, but it is still additional load  - particularly for those who are on older machines, browsers, or slower dial-up type internet access.

Of course, the .pdf file gives you all the functionality of a straight html, without the extra load. However, the way it is set up now, you have to load the page to get to the .pdf. So, what I can do is add a link to the .pdf from the "Downloads" page, so you can bypass the breeder's directory, if you so desire.  You can also opt to turn off java script in your browser: of course that turns it off for all websites, not just this page on this website.

Now, let's talk about CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets. The entire website is built with CSS, but there is no additional load for a website visitor. There are many pros to CSS development - among them, better website consistency, faster web development, standardized formats, etc.

Not using CSS would mean a major overhaul of the entire website, as well as higher maintenance time going forward. If you could share why you don't like CSS, maybe I can help figure out a way for you to avoid it.

I'm don't think that is a good idea.  New people browsing the site or looking for the breeders directory specifically will likely miss that pdf file.  They will see breeders directory and thats it.  Why look for it under Downloads?
I think a better idea would be (and there may be technical reasons it can't be done) once you click on the breeders directory you have the option (two buttons) to go to the pdf file or chose the interactive file.  Like I said, none of the phone numbers work for me in the interactive file and really, IE9 is not that old and ancient.  I'm sure many still use it.  While it may be easy to tell members to update their IE, you can't do that with visitors or potential customers.  And the breeder's directory, I would think, is more about reaching customers than members.
Sharon

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 07:25:40 PM »
Sharon, what do you mean the phone numbers don't work? You mean on your cell phone? The phone numbers are set up to work with mobile phones.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »
Sharon, what do you mean the phone numbers don't work? You mean on your cell phone? The phone numbers are set up to work with mobile phones.

What do you mean the phone #'s are meant to work with mobile phones?  I imagine when I click on the icon for phone that the phone number of the person I'm interested in contacting will display.  Is that not how it's supposed to work?

And you took away the option to visit a persons website in the .pdf file.   :(

Use to be able to just click it before and it took you to it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:34:20 PM by greeneggsandham »
Sharon

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »

What do you mean the phone #'s are meant to work with mobile phones?  I imagine when I click on the icon for phone that the phone number of the person I'm interested in contacting will display.  Is that not how it's supposed to work?
  Well, when you highlight any link, anywhere on the internet, the link will be displayed at the bottom left of your screen, but the intent here is so the site is mobile phone compatible. When you are on a mobile phone and click on the phone icon, it displays the number in the dialing window of your phone. You just click on call and you're connected. Just like the email icon connects you to your email software and website icons connect you to a website.

And you took away the option to visit a persons website in the .pdf file.
That is temporary. That is a manual process that is time-intensive and I just haven't had the time to go back through and re-do the entire 12 pages of listings.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »

Well, when you highlight any link, anywhere on the internet, the link will be displayed at the bottom left of your screen, but the intent here is so the site is mobile phone compatible. When you are on a mobile phone and click on the phone icon, it displays the number in the dialing window of your phone. You just click on call and you're connected. Just like the email icon connects you to your email software and website icons connect you to a website.

And you took away the option to visit a persons website in the .pdf file.
That is temporary. That is a manual process that is time-intensive and I just haven't had the time to go back through and re-do the entire 12 pages of listings.

That's nice but you do realize you are alienating a whole group of people who do not use smart phones?  Can we at least have an phone number icon for those who just wish to call on a regualr phone? 
Sharon

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 12:42:45 PM »
Sharon - Thanks for speaking up about things such as the phone icon.  I'm probably one of the least computer literate people, plus I have an older computer and NO smart phone.   Therefore I haven't made comments about website changes because my system is outdated.  I thought the phone icon didn't work on my computer, but finally found the number at the bottom left of the page.   Linda   

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
Sharon - Thanks for speaking up about things such as the phone icon.  I'm probably one of the least computer literate people, plus I have an older computer and NO smart phone.   Therefore I haven't made comments about website changes because my system is outdated.  I thought the phone icon didn't work on my computer, but finally found the number at the bottom left of the page.   Linda   

Oh, I see it now.  That's something I've never seen before.  Would have never thought to look for a phone or email way down there.
Sharon

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 03:59:37 PM »
I've added an expanding menu,so you now have the option of just going to the page to print the .pdf file or to the online interactive breeder's directory. Of course, the online version also has a link to the printable .pdf.

I have some hard deadlines at work this week, as well as getting out the bulletin, so won't be around as much this week. Have fun!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 07:24:38 PM »
While the resolution and size of text on your screen will be largely determined by the age, size, and settings of your monitor, there are a few work-arounds available for those of us who's eyes haven't kept up with our youthful appearance. ;)

The new Breeder's Directory .pdf format is a spreadsheet format. All the codes have been removed, so you can see at a glance what each person breeds and sells. To me, it is easier to use, but I realize to some the print can appear small. So, here's a tip that some of you may not be aware of.  This will work on any .pdf file anywhere on the internet.

After you have opened a .pdf file (there are many on the website - everything from the Breeder's Directory to points, breed history, etc), just wave your mouse cursor over the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

A small black menu should appear that looks like the one below.

There are six options on this menu:

- Clicking on this will auto fit the page to fit in the screen. This may actually shrink the image being displayed, depending on the resolution of your monitor.  A before and after picture are shown below.

- Clicking on this will expand the image to fill the screen width. This will almost always enlarge the image as shown before.

-These next two are for shrinking ( minus sign) or enlarging (plus sign) the image on the screen. With these two tools, you can make the text as large as you need it to be. The image below shows it enlarged.

- Clicking this will bring up a menu to save this pdf to your computer.

- Clicking this will bring up a menu to print this pdf.

Hope this helps!  Note that the images above are not "life-size" and were shrunk to be easily displayed in this window. All of the "normal"  images are on the left and the after-affects are displayed on the right.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:29:01 PM by Susan Mouw »
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 12:29:10 AM »
The Breeders Directory link no longer works.  At least it doesn't work for me.  Can anyone else access it?

Bad time of the year to not have that available.
Sharon

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 05:15:23 AM »
I am able to open the online and .pdf version.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 06:39:10 AM »
The Breeders Directory link no longer works.  At least it doesn't work for me.  Can anyone else access it?

Bad time of the year to not have that available.

Sharon, could you please be more specific? What is not working? Can you not see the links, is it stalling, are you getting an error message... What?
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm