Author Topic: blue laced  (Read 6640 times)

Stan Alder

blue laced
« on: March 01, 2015, 04:38:02 PM »
I really want to start a blue silver project, and I would appreciate any help. Does anyone have blue hatching eggs or chicks from a laced project, blue or silver, but I want true lacing....thanks for any assistance...

Mindy and Tom Best

Re: blue laced
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »
Stan, I don't think I have what you are looking for, but I have a pen with a  nice splash cockrel and two blue pullets that are laced nicely in my opinion and are laying. I am very interested in learning what you are looking for if you want to share more detail?

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
Stan, there are many threads on the forum discussing silvers and blue silvers.  You can search and read many others starts of diluting the silver genes.  The silver color is still unstable in my mind and needs quite a bit of work by itself.  The color standard has both blue silver and silver blue, they are different colors.
 http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=284.msg1942;topicseen#msg1942

Regarding Blues with lacing, I think most agree that the blues we currently have in Ameraucanas is edging and not lacing.  Several members were working to add lacing to the blue.  Some by crossing Andalusian and I think Jean was using another cross.  You might check out the thread at the top of the breeding category for some of this discussion.  I hope this helps.

Give us more detail in what you have and are trying to do, or If you can't find what you are looking for. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »
Stan, I have a few 1/2 Ameraucana  and 1/2 Andalusian they have very nice lacing. I would sale a cockerel, contact me if you're interested.

Stan Alder

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies Mindy  and Don....The project that I envision is a combined flock of Silver and blue silver, much like a BBS flock...I'm very genetically challenged, but I believe that the correct term is blue silver......the current standard for silver but with the cocks being  blue laced where the current silver is  black, and the hens being blue with salmon breast...I hope that is clearer??? I am just in the process of acquiring birds and would prefer to start with silver birds and introduce the blue. I would prefer to introduce a blue with true Andalusian lacing rather than the edging that we currently call lacing....The silvers are a little difficult to find, but I do have 5 or 6 sources. The blue laced is proving impossible, but I know from this forum and others that some people are working on that... hope that explains a little better where I want to go, and what I am looking for...

Stan Alder

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
Cliff, we were typing at the same time....that sounds exactly like what I am looking for...would love to talk about this with you, I'll message you...thanks!

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:32:58 AM »
I had to get rid of my blue laced project here.  I had too many irons in the fire and at the time I was told I had osteoarthritis, which turned out to be a misdiagnosis.
Jean

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 10:55:27 AM »
Sounds like a pretty project! I have been focused this year on my blue coloring and grasping the genetics concept.  Evidently I have hatched some  beautiful dark "edged" birds.  ;)

Stan Alder

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:10:03 AM »
I expect they are edged Mindy...I have never seen a laced Ameraucana. A true laced bird of any breed is a rarity, even Andalusians I hear...I think that the lacing is  pattern gene, and it must be recessive because it gets lost very quickly.....you can pull a feather, place it on a white piece of paper and you will see that there is no color on the edge...I was really surprised when I did that....a laced feather will have the black edge you thought your edged bird had...

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »
Yep I know they are edged. I had hatched them prior to reading a post on the forum about the lace/edge topic. I kept the pullets from a splash over black and they are very dark edged.  ;D

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
Stan, my thoughts on the lacing project was to use a silver laced Wyandotte.  These birds have the pattern gene we are looking for.  Unfortunately, they also have yellow skin, brown eggs and rose combs.  It would take a long time to develop a true blue laced ameraucana from that project, but in my mind that would be the only way to actually have a blue bird that fits the current APA standard which calls for a "laced" bird.
Jean

Stan Alder

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »
Thanks Jean,....I am curious as to why you suggest Wyandotte over Andalusian??? The Andi is a white egg layer, has black/slate legs and seems to me to be closer to the correct type other than the single comb and the white earlobes...I have read that the earlobes can be a real problem, but so can the Wyandotte brown eggs, yellow skin and rounded, squat body. I don't have enough experience or genetic knowledge to do this project. Plan to learn as I go...lol....but I would appreciate hearing more of your input...thanks.....

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »
To my knowledge, the andalusian doesn't posess the lacing pattern gene.     
Jean

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »
Stan hope you keep us up dated on your project this would be great to move over to breeding. Show pictures of the birds you start out with and the progress?
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Stan Alder

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03:48 AM »
I will do that when I get it going....still a ways off...I don't have my first chick yet!