Author Topic: Show Prep and Conditioning - what do you do?  (Read 9177 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Show Prep and Conditioning - what do you do?
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:16:47 PM »
I'd love to hear all the tips, secrets, and experience gained lessons about conditioning, and prepping your birds for Champion Row.

I know we have many Master Exhibitors out there... :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
Re: Show Prep and Conditioning - what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:57:57 PM »
An old timer exhibitor has been using PINK sheen spray on show days to bring out the shine in the color. He let me borrow some at a show and it does make a huge difference. Im going to use it this month. You can buy it virtually anywhere

http://www.amazon.com/Lusters-Pink-Sheen-Spray-Ounce/dp/B005GUKK4A

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »
Cesar - how much of the Pink do you use? Do you spray it directly on the bird, or just wipe it on with a cloth? Do you spray the entire body, including feet and face, or just the upper parts?

LOL - sorry, I have a lot of questions. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
Cesar - how much of the Pink do you use? Do you spray it directly on the bird, or just wipe it on with a cloth? Do you spray the entire body, including feet and face, or just the upper parts?

LOL - sorry, I have a lot of questions. :)

Yes I spray it directly on the bird. I use a silk clothes to rub them down. Some people dont use a silk cloth at all. I havent either when I have forgotten it. Its just for the feathers

Kiersten Parkerson

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
Tami and I are going to try a spray I used to use on the parrots. It's called Feather Glo. Has anyone tried using this as a daily spray or before shows??

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »
I have used feather glo before with good results, but I use another product that I like better. It is Blue Ribbon Show shampoo. The trick is to do the birds 5-7 days before the show. I use 10 gal totes for LF and 5 gal ones for bantams, You will need 4 to do the job. The first tub is warm water with the shampoo. Let the bird soak in the shampoo for a few minutes working the solution into the feathers. Use the other 3 tubs with clear rinse water dipping the bird from one tub to the next after soak rinsing for a few minutes. After the last tub, towel off the bird to get most of the excess water off. Don't worry if your show champion looks like it has transformed into a drowned duck at this point. If the weather is nice you can leave the birds outside to air dry. If it is cold or windy your only choice is to let them dry inside. You don't need sick birds days before a show! Don't use a hair dryer or heat to help dry the birds faster as this tends to leave the feathers frizzly. If the birds are not excessively dirty I can usually do 10-12 birds before having to change the water and shampoo in the tubs. The birds will pick and fluff their feathers by themselves and in 2-3 days you have a bird with soft nice feathers and a really nice sheen. It really does a nice job on bringing out the beetle green sheen on black birds. On check in to show coops you may need to do some minor cleaning and if necessary this is where I might use some Feather Glo.
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 11:10:33 PM »
Gordon and I were typing at the same time, so some of this is redundant.....
Show prep can be done so many different ways.  I wish I had written down all of the secret tips that folks have mentioned over the years.  After conditioning, most people wash the birds 3-4 days before the show.  Earlier will allow more time to let the birds preen the feathers and they will regain their oil sheen again.  But longer time gives the bird longer to get dirty again, so it's a balance.  You might be able to add some show conditioner to the feathers as you handle the birds and dust them each day.  It should dry fully and not pick up more dust after it goes back into the cage. 

Settle the birds into their cages once at the show.  Then do final prep on each bird.  Clean the legs again with a damp cloth.  Some people use oil or secret formula on the feet, comb and face.  Feather conditioners can be used sparingly if they dry fully and do not cause an unusual appearance to the feathers.  People used to use a spray for horses that did not leave a heavy gloss or fragrance.  IMO, The bird should look clean but very natural.  Simple is usually better. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:13:19 PM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »
I've been reading, and listening, to a lot of advice from different folks about what to do and not to do, prior to a show.  One of the things that I can seeing is trimming the bird's beaks.  I couldn't bring myself to do it before Anniston, but if it is something that will make a difference, I'll give it another try.

I have dog toenail clippers...anyone have a picture of a video of exactly what you are trimming and the before and after look?
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 08:35:56 PM »
I don't have any videos.  Maybe search on line, you can find almost anything these days.  If the upper beak is grown down over the lower beak, they can be trimmed to match each other when the beak is closed.  I do not think the closed dog trimmer will work as well, maybe I am thinking of something different.  But I use a regular pair of finger nail clips, toe nail clips max.  You will probably have to trim both sides, and probably the front, to get it to form and match the lower beak.  You can get someone at the show to help hold the bird and show you how.  It just takes a minute.     
Don Cash

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
I found this video - is this all there is to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAoPpBYyRLk
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »
You can find anything on line, wow.  the single trim across the front would be fine if they were going back into the coop.  The sharp edges on the sides would wear smooth.  But if you are taking them directly to a show I would even it out a little on the corner just to make it look more natural.  But three clips should do the trick.

( There is no blood unless you get into the quick of the beck, just like your dogs toenails.  You are         trimming the beak not trying to debeak them! )

I am sure that Jeff would be glad to help out at the show.  He has already told you what he thought about doing to the tail feathers.   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:54:37 PM by Don »
Don Cash

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 06:06:59 PM »
Uhm, I think I'll just try it myself a few days before the show, so any blood stains can be washed out before the show.

I know Jeff is very talented in show prep, but I think I'll wait until after judging is over to ask him for any tips.  LOL
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 07:26:39 PM »
Just give me 10 minutes before the show, my friend!
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 07:56:04 PM »
Just give me 10 minutes before the show, my friend!

Oh Jeff, I'm be so busy getting everything ready! I'll give you 20 minutes... After the show.

(Can't wait to meet you two! I know we are going to have fun!)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »
Dixie Classic website has a very simple show prep article with a few pictures.  I am sure there are others

http://www.tnvpoultryclub.com/index.php/show-chicken-tips
Don Cash