Author Topic: Bantam Ameraucanas  (Read 6493 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Bantam Ameraucanas
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »
I know that there are a lot of people working with LF Silvers now.  But several folks that used to keep Bantams have stopped for a least a time.  I know that Curtis Beck moved from the farm to the city and got rid of everything for a time.  Jerry said raccoons have given him significant trouble in his silver pens too.  There are several bantam silver flocks here in our area now and these are from the same 2-3 lines.  But who in the US is working with this color and which lines are you working with now?  I have a couple of lines and would like to see if everyone is having the same issues with specific lines.   
   There are a few flocks of bantams of any color here in the SE but very few showing on a regular basis.  It would be great to see more competition in these classes all around.
   Just drop me an email or post here if you have silver bantams now or are interested in bantams of any color.    Thanks!    drccash@yahoo.com
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
Re: Bantam Ameraucanas
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 06:48:20 PM »
I know that there are a lot of people working with LF Silvers now.  But several folks that used to keep Bantams have stopped for a least a time.  I know that Curtis Beck moved from the farm to the city and got rid of everything for a time.  Jerry said raccoons have given him significant trouble in his silver pens too.  There are several bantam silver flocks here in our area now and these are from the same 2-3 lines.  But who in the US is working with this color and which lines are you working with now?  I have a couple of lines and would like to see if everyone is having the same issues with specific lines.   
   There are a few flocks of bantams of any color here in the SE but very few showing on a regular basis.  It would be great to see more competition in these classes all around.
   Just drop me an email or post here if you have silver bantams now or are interested in bantams of any color.    Thanks!    drccash@yahoo.com

In your opinion which variety is the one that needs work the most? and which is the rarest? Is it BRed ?

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 07:50:53 PM »
Cesar,  that's a great question, made me think about it for a bit.  I've not seen many of the bantams except for the national last year, so take this with a grain of salt.  There were really nice birds there, some in larger quantities.  The white, black, blue are advanced way beyond the others just like in LF.  Buff has come a long way but few people have these, or at least few show them.  The fewer colors on a bird the simpler to progress the bird.  So solid colors are naturally going to excell, IMO, don't shoot me for saying this.  There still can be leakage in blacks and blues.  The lavs are coming along but need many more folks working here too. 

There was a large class of wheatens and blue wheatens at the national too Several folks are working on these in different parts of the country, but not nearly enough given how nice the color.  This color is complicated because of the many colors on the males and a different color balance on the females.  This doesn't even take into account the lacing/edging on all blues.   The brown red is a great color too.  Mike says it's really hard to get the color to balance in very many birds, "lots of wasters" was his term.  The silver is a complicated color too.  They still have problems with shafting, type and color balance on the males, as well as combs.  So I would say silver needs more help.  But it is a really nice color too and the egg color in some of the strains is really nice.  Now, have I talked you into getting some this year?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:55:46 PM by Don »
Don Cash

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »
Cesar,  that's a great question, made me think about it for a bit.  I've not seen many of the bantams except for the national last year, so take this with a grain of salt.  There were really nice birds there, some in larger quantities.  The white, black, blue are advanced way beyond the others just like in LF.  Buff has come a long way but few people have these, or at least few show them.  The fewer colors on a bird the simpler to progress the bird.  So solid colors are naturally going to excell, IMO, don't shoot me for saying this.  There still can be leakage in blacks and blues.  The lavs are coming along but need many more folks working here too. 

There was a large class of wheatens and blue wheatens at the national too Several folks are working on these in different parts of the country, but not nearly enough given how nice the color.  This color is complicated because of the many colors on the males and a different color balance on the females.  This doesn't even take into account the lacing/edging on all blues.   The brown red is a great color too.  Mike says it's really hard to get the color to balance in very many birds, "lots of wasters" was his term.  The silver is a complicated color too.  They still have problems with shafting, type and color balance on the males, as well as combs.  So I would say silver needs more help.  But it is a really nice color too and the egg color in some of the strains is really nice.  Now, have I talked you into getting some this year?

Im not sure about this season. I have to make more space, i also do Plymouth Rock Bantams and my extra pens went to them.  It would have to be a color where I dont really need to breed many to get good ones, just due to my lack of space.I would prob do white or buff. Most likely buff since Ive always been partial to that color.

Don do you breed bantams? If so what variety?

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:42:54 PM »
Cesar,   I have too many bantam colors to do it right, so will probably drop some this next season.  I have very small numbers of whites and lavs.  The whites are better by far.  They can be crossed to improve the lavs as they are both based on E.   The first cross will be splits showing black, probably with leakage etc.  But as Jean has mentioned, recessive whites can hide genes that might come back to haunt you.  Jerry DeSmit shared a trio of wheatens with us at the national and I would really like to get a number hatched of all these colors.  I tried to get some buffs from several breeders last year and it never really came together.  The buffs are one of my favorites too.     

I have a larger number of silvers from three lines.  They each have challenges.  But I still enjoy them none the less.   They are very active and productive.  There are even a few birchens that have come from one of the lines.
Don Cash

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »
Even though buff is a solid color it has it's challenges.  The color is very hard to get right.  The bird is supposed to be an even color with the buff in the under color and down the shaft.  I have found that it is another color that you need to hatch in large quantities.
Jean

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 11:37:03 PM »
Even though buff is a solid color it has it's challenges.  The color is very hard to get right.  The bird is supposed to be an even color with the buff in the under color and down the shaft.  I have found that it is another color that you need to hatch in large quantities.

Jean, Great point. I totally forgot about that. I guess it will be white lol.

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 11:39:18 PM »
Cesar,   I have too many bantam colors to do it right, so will probably drop some this next season.  I have very small numbers of whites and lavs.  The whites are better by far.  They can be crossed to improve the lavs as they are both based on E.   The first cross will be splits showing black, probably with leakage etc.  But as Jean has mentioned, recessive whites can hide genes that might come back to haunt you.  Jerry DeSmit shared a trio of wheatens with us at the national and I would really like to get a number hatched of all these colors.  I tried to get some buffs from several breeders last year and it never really came together.  The buffs are one of my favorites too.     

I have a larger number of silvers from three lines.  They each have challenges.  But I still enjoy them none the less.   They are very active and productive.  There are even a few birchens that have come from one of the lines.

Don, I guess you would have to use some whites that you know where bred from E. Have you hatched out any whites this season so far? If so how many are you planning on hatching?

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »
Cesar,   The black E can still carry recessive white in the back ground.  I had whites start showing up in my black Plymouth rock bantams after keeping them for about 20 years.  So things can crop back up after a long period and recessive white is really good at covering other colors, much better than dominate white.  It seems backward.  The whites are a nice color, or lack there of.  But white birds are very hard to keep show ready.   The buffs have more color variation.  But they are a great color and will really shine in the show hall especially if more folks would work with them.   So why not get both and some silvers too?

I do have a few in an incubator now.  Hopefully its early in the season for bantams.
I sent you a pm.       
Don Cash

Susan Lussos

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:23:40 PM »
hi Folks  -- While I realise that this thread is all about bantams, I am not sure if you include LF it the colour improvement would be much different...at least from what I've seen at shows.