Author Topic: AI and Your State/Our Meets  (Read 2898 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
AI and Your State/Our Meets
« on: May 16, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »
Several States have completely shut down all poultry movement in their States.  I believe PA and MN are two.  Also some states are restricting movement to only in-state movement of birds.

This could affect our meets.  There are different rules being applied across the board.  If there is anyone out there that has placed a meet or plan to attend an upcoming meet, could you please contact your State's Dept. of Agriculture to see what, if any rules have been put in place?

WA does not have any Statewide restrictions at this time.  Quarantined areas have shown no further incidence of disease to my knowledge.

Jean

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: AI and Your State/Our Meets
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
I just read that MN cancelled all chicken show/swap events for the rest of the year. This puzzles me, because I thought this virus was killed if the temp was 70F or higher?

Why cancel all events for the summer?

Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: AI and Your State/Our Meets
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
As of yet Nebraska has not restricted movement of poultry from within or outside entry into the state. I know of one spring show in Iowa that was cancelled because the club did not want the risk of importing birds from MN and the spreading of AI. Our local sale barn has stopped selling poultry this week due to the AI situation. They are in SE Nebraska which is about a 7 hour drive from the MN border. This may be an interesting season for exhibition or delivery of poultry that has been sold. It makes you wonder what the response from the USPS will be. Do I completely shut down the incubator or drastically limit the amount of eggs that I set?
Gordon Gilliam