Author Topic: Better days ahead?  (Read 6332 times)

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Better days ahead?
« on: June 14, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
I don't know about my fellow ABC members, but this AI scare is getting old with me. No exhibition shows close, due to State bans. No swap meets, exotic poultry sales, local sale barn poultry auctions. It looks to be a long final six months to the ban. That is if it gets lifted January 2016 as stated. Does anyone have any great chicken recipes? My excess breeding pens are full, grow out pens are full. Thank goodness I shut my incubator down early. No place to go with unwanted birds this year. The funny thing is that in our area, the millions of birds with AI seem to be mainly commercial layers. The government is paying the commercial flock owners for their losses, back yard exhibition owners zero if their birds are found with AI. As stated before, back yard flocks are not experiencing the epidemic that commercial flocks are even though they are more exposed to the elements and not confined indoors. I thought the cause was migratory droppings from waterfowl flying north. We went to WalMart a week ago Saturday and eggs were $2.20 doz. Yesterday they were $3.39 doz. Is this a ploy for higher egg prices, after all, the commercial layers are being paid for their lost birds. My only consolation is that there are cases of AI within our state and the ban probably can be justified. For those ABC members whose states have banned with no cases in their state or bordering states, I feel you maybe unjustly punished. Just my thoughts!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:31:18 PM by Birdcrazy »
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Better days ahead?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 08:02:26 AM »
Gordon,  It is a difficult pill to swallow.  According to one source, Egg production has been reduced by 37 million hens and another source indicated this at 10% of the national flock. The price changes might be a bit much for this point in time? (one good thing is that the flocks can be replaced in the same barns by as little as 6 weeks)  And agriculture in many states is extremely important.  One source indicated that NC poultry is a 12 billion dollar industry creating 110,000 jobs.  The state Vets are trying to do a difficult job to protect the business community.  The vets do not understand how the poultry in the closed houses are being infected.  Options may be infected feed grain or the ventilation systems for the barns.  So even though NC has not documented an infection, they are cautious for this fall when waterfowl migrate south again.   
    We will miss the fall shows but maybe we can still make some progress this year in some of the varieties.  I did not raise as many as I wanted either.  But as you said this might be a good thing now.  Our dogs and cats may eat better than normally this year.  Our ban does not start until mid August, so we might be able to cautiously share stock locally until then.  Regardless All sources at this point indicate that all poultry products are safe when cooked properly.  So no more egg smoothies, Rocky.         
   Pray that this fall sees a decline in new cases and that we can go back to normal.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:24:06 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:27:36 AM »
I shut my incubator down early, too, and sure am glad I did.  As it is, I have full grow out pens and will need to start serious culling this week.

I'm having a problem making it all add up. Like Don said, they say it is from water fowl migration, but it is mostly "indoor" flocks that are being affected. It would seem to me that if it were from migratory birds, then backyard flocks would be first, and most severely, hit. But that's not what the numbers tell us.

I think there is a "ground zero" somewhere (in Iowa?) and, until that is found and what is causing it, we're going to be dealing with this.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
  The past several years we haven’t been able to keep very many chicks due to sending them out to fill all our chick orders.  This year we have managed to keep a little over 350 head with a few more wheatens to hatch so we could have some since most were sent out.

We were all “geared-up” for a great show season with some to select from for a change!  The past several years we have been beaten with birds that we have sold or their offspring, which is a good thing!  It’s a win for their owner and us!  It also helps improve the breed, increases its popularity and demand for Ameraucanas.

This might be the year to take a vacation from the poultry shows.  It would be horrible to attend one where AI was present and take the virus home, causing all birds to have to be euthanized.  We experienced that in 2004 with Laryngotracheitis “LT”.  It wasn’t easy cutting the heads off three national champions plus many other top placing birds.  We ate a lot of chicken then and still do.

Gordon, my favorite way of cooking it is dip the pieces in a mixture of egg and milk, then roll them in Ritz  Cracker crumbs.  Bake them in the oven for approximately 20-30 minutes or until chicken is done at 425ºF in a Pyrex over safe dish.  Also rotisserie whole chicken is very good.  We seldom eat it fried as the cooking oil isn’t good for one’s health.  They must be young and tender for the afore mentioned methods.  About 5 months of age they are ready to be eaten.  ASAP after the cockerels start crowing and/or start to develop a spur-just a bulge on their shanks, then they are ready for a one time date with the butcher.

The older ones work well for chicken and noodles, chicken and dumplings, chicken and rice and chicken potpies.  We dress the older ones, let them cool out in the refrigerator for about 3 days (submerged in a dishpan of iced water, and covered with plastic wrap) then they are boiled in a turkey fryer.  Chicken bouillon is used in the boiling water.  When their meat starts to easily release from the bones, they are removed from the boiling water, allowed to cool.  Then they are deboned, cut In small chunks, and put in quart freezer bags.  The bags are then filled with the chicken broth which has also been cooled.  Now it is ready for the freezer to be stored until needed.  There may come a day, when we are glad that we have chicken in the freezer.  It’s been almost 20 years since I purchased my last chicken in the grocery store!  The yard birds are so much better eating than the commercial meat birds, plus ours haven’t been fed any antibiotics or hormones! Writing this has made me hungry for chicken!
Paul Smith

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
Just out today from APHIS:
"APHIS Releases Partial Epidemiology Report on Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza

USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service sent this bulletin at 06/15/2015 03:18 PM EDT

APHIS Releases Partial Epidemiology Report on Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza

June 15, 2015 – The United States Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) today released an epidemiology report outlining its initial findings through June 5 about how highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) was likely entering new premises during this period of time. After conducting investigations on over 80 commercial poultry farms, APHIS analysis indicates that there are likely several ways the virus could be transmitted, including lapses in biosecurity practices and environmental factors. APHIS cannot, however, associate HPAI transmission with one factor or group of factors in a statistically significant way at this time, and will continue to update this report regularly as more analyses are completed.

APHIS scientists believe wild birds were responsible for introducing HPAI into commercial poultry. While wild birds are the original pathway for the virus’ introduction into the United States, it appears the virus was spreading in other ways as well, given the number and proximity of farms affected by HPAI. For instance, the report provides evidence that a certain cluster of farms was affected by identical viruses, pointing to possible transmission among those farms. In addition, genetic analyses of the HPAI viruses suggest that independent introductions as well as transmission between farms were occurring in several States concurrently.

For example, APHIS has observed the following: sharing of equipment between an infected and noninfected farm; employees moving between infected and noninfected farms; lack of cleaning and disinfection of vehicles moving between farms; and reports of rodents or small wild birds inside the poultry houses. APHIS is compiling these practices and will present these findings in a subsequent update of this report.

Based on an analysis by APHIS, environmental factors may also play a part in transmitting HPAI. APHIS found that air samples collected outside of infected poultry houses contain virus particles, indicating that the virus could be transmitted by air. In addition, preliminary analysis of wind data shows a relationship between sustained high winds and an increase in the number of infected farms approximately 5 days later. APHIS is conducting additional analyses to better characterize environmental factors that may contribute to virus spread.

While USDA has always worked with States and industry to promote biosecurity, it has continued to step up this collaboration throughout the outbreak, including meeting with industry representatives, producers, and federal, state and local government officials on to discuss the importance of biosecurity. Moving forward, APHIS plans to continue sharing what it learns with State and industry partners through regular conversations and meetings, including an Industry/USDA/State Animal Health Meeting in July where the agency will focus specifically on biosecurity. In addition, APHIS will continue to regularly communicate with its partners about all HPAI issues, hosting monthly calls with State agriculture officials, weekly calls with industry and State veterinary officials, and daily calls with officials in HPAI-affected States.

APHIS appreciates the cooperation of poultry producers in providing the information needed for these epidemiology investigations. APHIS values its partnership with industry and believes that with their continued support and assistance, the agency will be well positioned to learn all it can about this virus. USDA plans to issue regular progress reports on its Web site to share updated findings with States, industry, and stakeholders."

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDAAPHIS/bulletins/109d739#.VX84tMKdBxI.facebook

Except for the possible airborne factor, I think this is encouraging. Goes back to the ground zero I was talking about earlier and Jean's comments about poor bio-security.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:14:13 PM »
Thanks Susan for the update on the investigation into the possible causes of AI being spread. Thank you Paul for the recipes. I must admit it did make my mouth water just reading them. Sorry Susan, your article did not have the same effect on my taste buds, but it was quite informative.
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
You mean, I lost my "Domestic Diva" title?

It's ok - I don't think it was going to stick anyway. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:25:01 PM »
One additional thought Susan, maybe we need a new category on Forum classifications "Favorite Recipes ". Maybe they are better left in the Members Only category so our club members have a monopoly on them!
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »
Ok, I'm waiting for some awesome recipes in the Recipes thread in the Members Only section. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »
I'm not believing that article for one minute.

WILD BIRDS, my hiney.

Can we all for a moment just imagine how many backyard farms would have AI?  I am close to a lake and am considered to be in a high risk zone.  My chickens do not free range, but my turkeys and geese do. 

My breeder pens are only covered with nylon netting.  Now, I don't feed wild birds, but I have starlings, sparrows, cow birds, magpies, crows and ravens that visit my farm.  These birds all must get water from the lake or the wetlands below me. 

We have Canadian geese, mallards and snow geese that frequent the area in the spring.  The snow geese only stop for a week or two.

I've been part of the AI testing program for years and have never had an issue.  So, how can a scientific group point fingers at the wild bird population?  There have not been any findings of dead song birds reported to my knowledge. 

So, these findings really make me think where is the scientific proof????
Jean

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:47:15 PM »
Jean, talk about a high risk zone. The scenario you described makes me shutter! If any flock should be a candidate, you would get the Purple Ribbon!
Gordon Gilliam

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
I would like to point out that the migratory birds fly over my property, but do not land here.
Jean

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 11:56:52 PM »
I don't think that I would shoot them down either!
Gordon Gilliam