Author Topic: ISO Bantam Black Cockerel/Cock  (Read 3864 times)

Temple DaSilva

ISO Bantam Black Cockerel/Cock
« on: November 28, 2015, 05:25:16 PM »
I'm hoping to find a nice bantam black cockerel rather than waiting for spring chicks.  Does anyone have something they would consider parting with?

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Re: ISO Bantam Black Cockerel/Cock
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:39:37 PM »
Temple, 

Weren't you originally looking for a white cockerel?  If so, see if Don Cash has any.

Don?
Jean

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
Temple, 

Weren't you originally looking for a white cockerel?  If so, see if Don Cash has any.

Don?
Hi Jean,

I was but thought that a nice black or two would be a bit more useful to have since I have lavender, chocolate and white.  I also thought blacks would be easier to come by.  Or not.  :-(

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:33:59 PM »
Temple,

We don't have Blacks, but we are searching for White Bantam females. If you have any extras, please let us know.

Thanks,
Ernie Haire

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »
Temple,

We don't have Blacks, but we are searching for White Bantam females. If you have any extras, please let us know.

Thanks,
Ernie Haire

Hi Ernie,

I bought a small flock of 8 bantam whites - four pullets and four cockerels.  Unfortunately - at least in my very novice opinion! - only one pullet was worth keeping and possibly worth trying to take forward.  All of the other birds in this group were oversize... some quite significantly...  and their beards and muffs needed quite a bit of improvement so I placed all but this one pullet as Easter Eggers.

So, despite what I don't think is an ideal starting point, I will try to hatch something from this one girl.  If I have anything that looks decent, I will certainly let you know.

-temple

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 10:24:07 PM »
Temple,  Many folks have thinned down to breeders at this point.  I'd get on someone's wait list for chicks or eggs for the spring.  Another option is to get someone to sell you a male after they've finished hatching in the spring.  Your hatches might be late but at least you won't miss a whole season.  Birds are going to be scarce until folks have filled their own brooders in the spring.  Many bantam breeders start hatching in March/April  Folks will be wanting stock after the first of the year and wonder why there are none to be found.  Plan ahead now and take advantage of those who are offering chicks for the spring.

But your search for black bantams brings up point.  It seems that bantams are falling out of popularity through out the country.  Blue Wheatens almost went by the wayside until thankfully a few folks picked up this baton. Its hard to believe that Blacks are not that available now.  Keep looking and keep some of those other bantams going, pass them on to some others.  And raise a bunch of the whites too.  Folks are trying to find sources for this great variety.  If we have blacks and whites, we can reinforce many of the other colors as needed.       
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9