Author Topic: New Poultry Mags  (Read 1892 times)

John

New Poultry Mags
« on: May 10, 2006, 12:01:07 PM »
In the past month or so I\'ve received a couple complimentary poultry magazines.
One is the April/May issue of Backyard Poultry.  On page 7 it has a well written letter to the editor entitled Using the Term \"Easter Egg Chicken\" Appropriately, by Richard Collard from BC.  He even quotes the Easter Egg Chicken definition from our FAQ page!
The second is the March/April issues of Poultry Enthusiast Magazine.  On page 30 they have a photo of a black tailed red/buff large fowl male.  It looks like it has the breed characteristics of an Ameraucana, but doesn’t meet any recognized variety.  The caption reads \"Araucana (Ameraucana) rooster\".  I emailed this comment to them:  Please note that the chicken in the photo, on page 30, of your March/April issue is neither an Araucana nor an Ameraucana as the caption reads. It is a mutt or mongrel. Standard breeds of chickens are defined by two organizations in the North America. They are the American Poultry Association and the American Bantam Association. Don\'t feel bad, many poultry novices make the same mistake. It is perpetuated by many commercial hatcheries as they continue to sell \"backyard\" chickens as standard bred fowl to make a buck. For more info check out the APA, ABA, Ameraucana or Araucana websites. Sincerely, John W. Blehm, Ameraucana Breeders Club
More poultry magazines are great, but lets take every opportunity to educate the people behind the publications and the their readers about standard bred poultry.  And no I don\'t mean large fowl by standard as so many refer to them.  Remember bantams are standard chickens too.   :o

Mike Gilbert

New Poultry Mags
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 06:20:52 PM »
Well done John.   Unless it breeds true for a specific color variety, it is not an Ameraucana.     Ameraucanas are true breeding;  easter eggers are not.