Author Topic: Advise concerning a new ameraucana breed.  (Read 16788 times)

Advise concerning a new ameraucana breed.
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2006, 04:12:01 PM »
these are pics of last year\'s \'Quail\' easter eggers.  does that seem an accurate description for the color, or is there a better one?  

this roo crossed with a white LF (green leg) threw a batch that are so far identical in color (except some pullets have a browner base color, some are more golden like this pullet), but I need to get white skin into them to get rid of willow legs.  I have buff LF, but their leg color is very light blue.  or is there another variety that won\'t dominate the quail color?

any suggestions welcome!  I haven\'t found any genetic info so far about dominance of the quail color variety in regards to other, standard colors.

thank you!

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 04:22:41 AM »
My name is Dan, lol.  :)

I\'m working with many of the colors and varieties that have been mentioned, add to them the laced varieties. Laced varieties of Ameraucana are the one thing that I personally feel are sorely missing in the Ameraucana world and they work so well with other color/pattern genetics. Gold, silver, blue laced red as well as the asian game\'s \'laced yellow-clay\'... you name it! Mottled Ameraucanas would be a great side variety produced by a laced breeding project too. With the addition of the lavender variety you could even have your porcelains.

Btw, does anyone have any idea what the muff color or pattern would be on an autosomal barred bird? Never seen an autosomal barred \"muffed\" breed myself.
Dan

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »
I have Exchequer segregating out in my chicks this year but it is interfering with dermal melanin. I\'ve looked all over the net and not had any luck finding a mottled breed with dark shanks.

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2006, 09:38:21 AM »
Mottling will inhibit dermal melanin and that is why you can not get  mottling and a dark shank. Even if your bird is id+ the mottling prevents the addition of the eumelanin to the dermis.

Alouez,

Quail  e+/e+, s+/s+,  Co/Co   ( e locus could be eb, eWh)

You want to find a breed  that has white skin and is quail. The yellow skin is making the legs green.

Rooster

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2006, 02:06:04 PM »