Author Topic: Beard/Muff Picking Help Needed  (Read 4086 times)

Temple DaSilva

Beard/Muff Picking Help Needed
« on: August 01, 2016, 03:27:46 PM »
Ugh... I have some chronic beard pickers so am looking for help with what might work in curbing this behavior.  I never see them do it during the day so I'm guessing they sit next to each other on the roost bar at night and pick each other bald.   Has anyone had any luck with any kind of topical treatment to deter the offenders?  I will never get these girls into a show like this and don't want them starting in on the new cockerel I put in with them!

Thanks in advance,

-temple in CT

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: Beard/Muff Picking Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
Boy, I'll be watching this thread!  I have a couple that have picked the cockbird's beard clean!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 08:19:46 AM »
I also hope that someone has some secrets that they will share to help with this problem.  It can be a problem with most any flock but it does seem to be much worse with the beards and muffs.  The more area you can give them the better, but may still not curtail the issue.  I think that most folks that are all into showing will single pen their stock for several months prior to the shows.  Others have tried hanging cabbage or other treats in the pens to give them something else to keep them busy.  Its  probably caused when the chickens get food stuff stuck in their beards feathers. You'll often see females cleaning crumbles from the edges of other's beaks.  And the muffs are easy to pull.  There were some old posts where a few folks used pheasant blinders "peepers", so the birds couldn't see forward.  There are some anti-pic lotions available but the ones I know will discolor feathers.                Below is a post from Paul some years ago for another early approach.  But again you have to try it before the final molt.

Paul Smith
  "Feather eating may be stopped by rubbing petroleum jelly on the birds feathers, that are being eaten (beards, muffs and especially accross their backs by the base of their tail), then coating it with sulphur dust.  Neither sulphur nor petroleum jelly will work by itself.  They must be used together.  If you wear silver jewelry-remove it before treating the birds as the sulphur will cause silver to turn black.  I\'ve found that this works very well, but it will stain the birds feathers, so they need to be young enough that they will molt before showing them.  Also keep the sulphur dust out of their eyes and yours.

Whole oats in the birds diet helps on some cases of feather picking."
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Lavender Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:05:29 AM »
When I skimmed through the archives, one of the founders suggested feeding whole oats to chickens over six weeks old would prevent the desire to eat feathers. I hope you can get this solved. Good luck!

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:52:01 PM »
Whole oats in the birds diet helps on some cases of feather picking."

I'll give it a try.  I have two chocolate girls who look like they went to a waxing salon... not even a hint of beard or muffs anymore!  And I've done the hanging cabbages and all kinds of other stuff.  They aren't crowded in the least.  They seem to do it when they roost.  Maybe the only way is segregation.  :-(

Maggie Maier

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 04:40:29 PM »
I'll try the oats also. I came back from vacation to 3 with no beards or muff.
Maggie Maier

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »
It may take a while for them to start eating oats, especially bantams.  You might try sprouting them first to interest them more.  And take away all other food at some times during the day.  Southern hulled oats are the hardest to get them to eat since they have such a rough texture.  You might be able to reduce them a little in a food processor for the first feedings to help.  I am not sure if the northern hulless oats, sold as triple cleaned oats here at triple the price for horses, have the same benefits. 

Solitary Confinement works for sure
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:24:15 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:30:54 AM »
Twenty-two years ago, when I only had EELs, was my first experience with feather picking which escalated to cannibalism.  I tried all kinds of things to try to get the birds from feather picking each other-among them several varieties of weed (Western Ragweed, Butternsneeze weed, Horound ) teas which I would dip/soak the birds in.  It didn’t stop any feather picking!

One evening after returning from work, one of the pullets had half of her rump eaten off.  Then I decided it was time to debeak the birds like the commercial layer operations.  I purchased a dog toe nail clippers to do the job.  The birds squirted blood for a little while but soon quit.  We didn’t loose any and that totally stopped the cannibalism  and feather picking.  However it also prevented the debeaked birds from picking grass/plants.  I DO NOT recommend debeaking, also that is a disqualification for showing!

The next year the same problem was occurring, when I had a customer tell me, that putting Vaseline/petroleum jelly and powdered Sulfur on the birds would put a stop to feather picking.  Neither Vaseline nor powdered Sulfur will work on its own.  It takes the combination of the two!  The Vaseline needs to be worked into the feathers on the bird’s back at the base of their tail, then sprinkle the powdered Sulfur on-working it into the Vaseline feathers.  Normally one time treatment is enough to persuade the birds that feathers don’t taste good enough to eat anymore!  If you are going to show your birds, feather picking MUST be stopped very early in the bird’s development.  #1.  They can’t be shown all pecked up.  #2.  The Sulfur will discolor the bird’s plumage.  It CAN NOT be put on the set of feathers that the show bird will be shown in!  Normally they are ready to be shown in their 3rd set of feathers.

Last year we had one house to pick each other but they were quickly stopped with the Vaseline/Sulfur.  This year we have a pen that is being more determined to keep picking.  They were treated early-stopped-then started again.  I’m trying some new things since most of the birds are in their 3rd set of feathers.  We butcher many of the cockerels and any cull pullets.  The feathers are being put out free choice near the birds pens so they can eat them when they are turned out each morning.  Also any fresh rabbit or squirrel found on road dead is skinned and put out for the feather picking birds to eat.

If you try the Vaseline/Sulfur take off any Silver jewelry as it will be tarnished-black, which will polish off.  Keep the Sulfur out of your eyes and bird’s eyes.  It can cause eye infections in the birds and it does burn.  If any of the young birds have an eye problem after being Vaseline/Sulfur treated-eye drops will help them.

Prevention is the best when it comes to feather picking!  Don’t over crowd your chicks and raise them in small groups.  Let your birds free range when they are old enough to be turned out and the weather permits.  Feed high fiber products like oats and grass along with their feed.  Early in the Spring when the winter grasses are young and tender-I will pull a bucket of it to give to the young chicks.  Later in the Summer the young chicks will get Crab grass.  We use Bermuda grass hay for a light covering on the cement floors in our brooder houses.  Its amazing how much of it the birds will eat when they get several weeks of age.  Most of the birds that we show will be individually caged.  I have yet to see a bird harvest it’s own feathers!
Paul Smith