Author Topic: On the road to recovery!  (Read 6632 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
On the road to recovery!
« on: September 15, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
The surgery went very well and Barry is on his way to come take me home. I have some pain, but manageable. Some nausea, but that will fade.

I'm on two weeks of light duty... What is that? Back to Charleston for a recheck in 4 weeks and I'm all done!

Thank you, everyone, for all the prayers!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: On the road to recovery!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:53:13 PM »
Surprised to hear from you so soon! Try to take it easy please, you know we have you penciled in for the long haul. You were either the perfect patient and recuperated well or so much trouble they let you go early. Time will tell! Glad you are on your way home.
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 08:43:39 PM »
Good to have you home Susan.   I hope Barry makes you keep resting for a while yet.  I wish him luck.
Take it easy. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Jen Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 05:19:00 AM »
Great news! Glad you all went well and you are home now! Please take the light duty seriously, no marathons, physical or online, lol.
I echo Don's sentiments and wish Barry luck as well in keeping your activities to a dull roar. ;)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:26:17 AM »
Oh ya'll are too funny!  LOL

I'm an excellent patient and mind my caretakers with absolute obedience. 

Whew!  Took me a while to stop laughing after typing that one. :)

I'm doing pretty good, although my right cheek looks like I stole some nuts from a chipmunk somewhere.  Still some soreness (why are my ribs sore?) and a little bit of dizziness. But it all seems to get a little better every day.  Right now, Barry is still handling all of the chores, so I'll be glad when I can at least come help with watering or something.  But I don't think he'd even let me go outside right now.  He can be rather bossy.

It is nice to have my laptop back in my lap again, though I doubt it will be for any marathon!  I'll try to limit it to a semi marathon. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »
Oh ya'll are too funny!  LOL

I'm an excellent patient and mind my caretakers with absolute obedience. 

Whew!  Took me a while to stop laughing after typing that one. :)

I'm doing pretty good, although my right cheek looks like I stole some nuts from a chipmunk somewhere.  Still some soreness (why are my ribs sore?) and a little bit of dizziness. But it all seems to get a little better every day.  Right now, Barry is still handling all of the chores, so I'll be glad when I can at least come help with watering or something.  But I don't think he'd even let me go outside right now.  He can be rather bossy.

It is nice to have my laptop back in my lap again, though I doubt it will be for any marathon!  I'll try to limit it to a semi marathon. :)

I'm glad to see the doctor didn't remove your humor during the operation! You just wouldn't be the same without it!
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
Oh no! Removing my sense of humor would be far too invasive of a surgery! It is wrapped all around every other sensation!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 07:01:50 PM »
Update on me. :)
I am not a fan of any kind of pain killers, so the first thing I do is try to get that reduced.  I'm doing pretty good on half a pill about every 4 hours and a full pill at night.  More stable on my feet, but still spending most of my time in bed.  Barry says I can do my first outdoor excursion on Wed.  I'll be ready.

Most of the swelling that was around the jaw and ear earlier has gone down and Barry says it all looks like it is healing well.

I'm still sleeping a lot, but I guess that's just my body saying I gotta heal, so I don't fight it.

Guess that's all for now :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 12:20:19 AM »
10 Days post-surgery update :)

Still progressing, but not back to full power yet. lol  I have been outside a couple of times and do okay as long as I don't get over tired - which doesn't take too much right now.  Still on my two week "light duty", so that limits my activity, too.  I can't lift more than 10 lbs - a gallon of milk weighs 8 lbs, for a reference point.

No, or very minimal, pain now for a couple of days and that is with pain medication significantly reduced.  Some of the side effects of the pain medication are slowly fading, too - like constipation, and nausea, etc - which is definitely a good thing.

The surgical site looks good, or at least what we can see under the steri-strips - no redness, or heat, and swelling is going down.  The actual drill hole into the skull and through the mastoid is hidden under the scalp flap, but I guess we would know if something was going on there.

Still can't hear out of that ear, still having drainage, and the top half of my ear is numb, but I suspect that is because of all the swelling that is still there.

Still fighting some dizziness - especially if I bend over - but that's getting better, too.

All in all - making progress, but going slower than I would have liked.  But I've never been accused of having too much patience. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Jen Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 05:16:55 AM »
Glad to hear the healing is goung well, Susan. Hang on to that patience with your fingernails!

Don't rush it, all good things come to those who wait. Put the milk down, Barry can carry that for a while. ;)

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »
Progress may be slow Susan, but it is heading in the right direction. Let Barry continue to do the hard heavy stuff, you deserve the break! Rest up while you have the perfect excuse.
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 09:16:44 AM »
Well, this morning I woke up feeling back to normal!  LOL

This is the hard part of recovery, for me anyway.  I know I still have a 5" scalp flap that isn't healed and drill hole in my skull that hasn't completely sealed back...and who knows what all on the inside still healing...but I feel fine!

Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 11:39:53 AM »
Great News that you are feeling better! Just continue with the sympathy option. Don't overdue, we don't expect you back at the slave pit until you are fully healed. Remember we want you for the long haul!
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 12:30:07 PM »
Oh my goodness Susan,   Glad you are feeling better for sure.  But that description gives me chills.  Please take it slow and make sure you are not taking chances.  I am sure Barry is doing a great job outside anyway and I am sure your AMs will not forget who you are.

But on another note, I remember an old satirical Hiring Rules list see below:

SURGERY:
Operations are now banned. As long as you are an employee here, you need all your organs. You should not consider removing anything. We hired you intact. To have something removed constitutes a breach of employment.
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 04:07:08 PM »

SURGERY:
Operations are now banned. As long as you are an employee here, you need all your organs. You should not consider removing anything. We hired you intact. To have something removed constitutes a breach of employment.

LOL!  I think I worked for that company.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm