Author Topic: Gulf South Fall Classic, Baton Rouge, Louisiana  (Read 5197 times)

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Gulf South Fall Classic, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:20:13 PM »
We are busy trying to get everything ready to head out tomorrow morning for Baton Rouge. It is a long drive, but a great facility. The people who put this show on have always been great to work with and always very accommodating. This is a show that we attended a couple of years ago. We met some really good people while we were there. We weren't able to attend last year due to the Avian Influenza scare.

The lady who is in charge of the show contacted me today to let me know that everything was looking good down there. It looks like it is going to be a big show and plenty of Ameraucanas there. They are going to provide us with a table and chairs for the ABC. Paul and Angela Smith were nice enough to bring me some brochures and other paperwork to the State Fair of Texas to take with us. I am looking forward to a great show and meeting Ameraucana breeders from that area.

If you are going to be showing in Baton Rouge, please let us know. We will be looking forward to seeing everyone there. We are praying for safe travels for everyone who is going to be traveling to shows this show season.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: Gulf South Fall Classic, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »
Good luck, Ernie!  Have fun and safe travels.   Can't wait to hear the good results when you get back. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:21:16 PM »
I just got home from the show in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It was a great show. Anyone within traveling distance should consider adding this show to their "List of Shows to Participate in" list. The show is held in the Agricultural Center on the LSU Campus. The coops have always been set up in a fashion to allow the exhibitors to drive into the showroom floor to unload their birds. Regardless of the weather conditions, you and your birds can stay dry. The people who put this show on are great to work with and always willing to help in anyway that they can.

We had 100 Ameraucanas entered by 7 exhibitors. I did keep records and will post them later. I am sorry to say that I did not get any pictures, but hope to do better next week. We will be in Haynesville, Louisiana next weekend for the Pelican State Classic. It is another show that we have shown in for years and always been pleased with the show.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 07:53:48 PM »
That is a great facility!  Never shown chickens there, but used to show in the Arabian show every spring and every fall.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Peggy Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 09:27:13 PM »
It was great to get back into the swing of showing again.  I missed it last year.  As Ernie said the Gulf South is a neat show to do in a good facility with great people putting it on.  I was very glad to be able to go back this year. 

We had an outstanding representation of Ameraucanas shown both in large fowl and bantams.  One of our judges was one of the National Show judges this year. I can't recall his name right at this minute but I believe he was from California. He was very complimentary of the birds shown.

There were Black,White, Blue, Buff, Wheaten, and Blue Wheaten shown in the large fowl.  Black, White, Blue, Splash, Self Blue, Silver, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten and Chocolate in the bantams.

I will be going to Haynesville, La  this next week end and am looking forward to it.  I've done this show several times and always enjoy it.  Again, this is another good show put on by some great folks.

It was a long drive in from Baton Rouge this morning so I am cutting this short and making an early night of it.

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »
The South Coast Poultry Fanciers have a great show that is held in a nice facility. It is a double show that is held on Saturday. Everyone is released after the awards, but they do not have to be removed until Sunday. We have come home on Saturday evening before, but decided to stay over and leave early Sunday morning this year. It was much better to get a good night's sleep before traveling home.

Both shows had 69 Bantams and 31 Large Fowl with entries from 7 exhibitors. They use a Blue card for one judge and a Yellow card for the other judge. It is difficult to know which is Show 1 and Show 2 because both judges start judging at the same time. They start on separate sides of the barn working judging as they work toward the middle. As they start to reach each other on the breed that is in the middle of the barn, one lets the other pass. It really works out well because both shows are completed at about the same time.

Due to the fact that Eric Kutch was the only judge that handled both the Large Fowl Ameraucanas and the Bantam Ameraucanas, he selected the Champion and Reserve Champion Ameraucanas. He was very complimentary of the birds that were exhibited. We thought that it was pretty neat that he had judged the Ameraucana Nationals in Idaho a week before.

I am sorry that we did not get pictures, but promise to do better this weekend. We will be showing at the Pelican State Classic in Haynesville, Louisiana.

*Large Fowl in Show 1 were judged by Rip Stalvey of Florida*

Blacks (2)
Pullet BV, BB - Ernie Haire
Cock RV- Ernie Haire

Blue (1)
Pullet BV -  Mary Laska

Blue Wheaten (5)
Pullet BV - Peggy Taylor
Cock RV - Peggy Taylor

Buff (7)
Cockerel BV - Ernie Haire
Pullet RV - Peggy Taylor

Wheaten (6)
Hen BV -Peggy Taylor
Cock RV - Peggy Taylor

White (10)
Cock BV, RB - Ernie Haire
Pullet RV - Ernie Haire

Bantams in Show 1 were judged by Chris Hawes

Black (12)
Pullet BV, BB, Res. AOCCL - Ernie Haire
Cockerel RV - Ernie Haire

Blue (5)
Cockerel BV - Ernie Haire

Blue Wheaten (13)
Pullet BV - Peggy Taylor
Hen RV - Peggy Taylor

Silver (2)
Cockerel BV - Peggy Taylor
Pullet RV - Peggy Taylor

Wheaten (14)
Pullet BV, RB - Peggy Taylor
Pullet RV - Peggy Taylor

White (15)
Cock BV - Ernie Haire
Hen RV - Ernie Haire

Splash (3)
Pullet BV - Mary Laska
Cockerel RV - Mary Laska

Self Blue (4)
Pullet BV - Dorothy Haire
Pullet RV - Dorothy Haire

Chocolate (1)

*Large Fowl in Show 2 were judged by Eric Kutch*

Blacks (2)
Pullet BV - Ernie Haire
Cock RV- Ernie Haire

Blue (1)
Pullet BV -  Mary Laska

Blue Wheaten (5)
Hen BV - Peggy Taylor
Hen RV - Peggy Taylor

Buff (7)
Pullet BV - Ernie Haire
Pullet RV - Ernie Haire

Wheaten (6)
Hen BV -Peggy Taylor
Hen RV - Peggy Taylor

White (10)
Hen BV,BB, Res. AOSB - Ernie Haire
Pullet RV, RB - Ernie Haire

Bantams in Show 2 were judged by Eric Kutch  of California

Black (12)
Pullet BV, BB, Champion Ameraucana, and Res. AOCCL - Ernie Haire

Blue (5)
Pullet BV - Ernie Haire
Pullet RV - Ernie Haire

Blue Wheaten (13)
Hen BV, RB, Reserve Champion Ameraucana - Peggy Taylor
Pullet RV - Peggy Taylor

Silver (2)
Pullet RV - Peggy Taylor

Wheaten (14)
Pullet BV, RB - Peggy Taylor
Cockerel RV - Peggy Taylor

White (15)
Hen BV - Ernie Haire
Hen RV - Ernie Haire

Splash (3)
Cockerel BV - Mary Laska
Pullet RV - Mary Laska

Self Blue (4)
Pullet BV - Dorothy Haire
Pullet RV - Dorothy Haire

Chocolate (1)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »
Congratulations to all the winners!  Sounds like it was a great show!

Quick question for Ernie - how many exhibitors for bantams and how many for large fowl?  I know you have 7 total, but could you give me a breakdown?

Thanks!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »
Most of the exhibitors had entries in the Large Fowl and the Bantams. There were 6 exhibitors who entered the Bantam Show, but 7 entered the Large Fowl show.

Sorry,
Ernie

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »
Most of the exhibitors had entries in the Large Fowl and the Bantams. There were 6 exhibitors who entered the Bantam Show, but 7 entered the Large Fowl show.

Sorry,
Ernie

That's what I needed.  Thank you!  Rosettes are sent out based on the number of entries in each class, so I need to know how many for each.  With the exception of Juniors, where the number is exhibitors doesn't matter. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 10:58:36 PM »
Susan,

There weren't any Juniors exhibitors with Ameraucanas. We hope that with the increase of breeders in this area starting to focus on Bantams we can change that. I know as an Ag teacher, it has been impossible to find Bantam Ameraucanas for our students. Until the last year, there were no Bantams in this area. Thanks for ABC members like Paul Smith, Debora Hogan, Greg Vetter, Jerry DeSmidt, Temple DaSilva, David Blashill, Don Cash and a few others we have been able to find quality breeding stock to work with. It is my goal to have good Bantam Ameraucanas that juniors can use as FFA and 4H projects without having the added expense of driving to get them or the cost of shipping.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire