Author Topic: Trios and Displays  (Read 4723 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Trios and Displays
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »
I am have entered a couple of trios for the Knoxville show next weekend.  This is the first show I've been to that allowed trios and displays and I'd like to learn more about them.

Could someone explain how they are scored?
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Trios and Displays
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 02:57:25 PM »
I am sure that nobody has replied to this post because the explanation is hard to put into words. I am going to try to see if I can explain this Trio and Display competitions. I am not sure if you are asking about the ABC Display or the APA Display point system. I have only competed in the Display competition that used the APA point system. I

A Trio is made up of three entries from the same exhibitor, the same breed, and the same variety. They are usually entered as "Old Trio" or "Young Trio". The birds that are used to make up the Trio are supposed to be considered in the placing of BV, RV, BB, and RB. Meaning that the male in your "Young Trio" will not be placed in the Cockerel class, but he could come back and be used as BV, RV, BB, or RB. That one has always been hard for me to understand, but it has happened to us several times. There was actually a First, Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth place cockerel in the show, but our  cockerels was not placed in that line-up. He did come back to be BV. Go figure. It is really hard for the exhibitor with the First place cockerel to understand.

Every Display that we have shown had to consist of at least seven birds from the same exhibitor and from the same Breed and Variety. If the show has a "Trio" class, the exhibitor must have at least one trio entered. Besides that, the exhibitor must have at least one Cock, one Hen, One Cockerel, and one Pullet entered. The exhibitor can have as many birds entered in the Display as they want as long as the Display meets these minimum requirements. The points are figured as follows;

1st Place- 6 points times the number of entries in the class. (This number is then multiplied by the number of entries.)
2nd Place- 4 points times the number of entries in the class. (This number is then multiplied by the number of entries.)
3rd Place- 3 points times the number of entries in the class. (This number is then multiplied by the number of entries.)
4th Place- 2 points times the number of entries in the class. (This number is then multiplied by the number of entries.)
5th Place- 1 point times the number of entries in the class. (This number is then multiplied by the number of entries.)

Example: If there were 10 entries in the cockerel class, the winner would be awarded 60 points. If that same exhibitor won third place too, he/she would be awarded an additional 30 points. The Pullet, Hen, and Cock classes are all figured the same way.The points are then added together to determine the winner of the Display.

If anyone sees anything that I left out, please feel free to chime in. I hate to send anyone off thinking that they understand these two competitions if I have left anything out.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »
Thank you, Ernie!  This makes sense, I think.

Is this point structure the same for trios?
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »
According to APA rules, Trios are awarded using the same guideline but the points are doubled. If there are three Trios entered in the breed and variety, the winning Trio would receive  18 X 2 = 36 points.

Be Blessed,
Ernie

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:32:08 AM »
Ok, now for my next question. :)

What are the trios judged on? Aside from how each individual compares to the Standard, what are judges looking for in a trio?

I have three trios entered for Knoxville and this is the first time I've entered anything as a trio, so I'm wondering what is the best way to combine the three cockerels with the six pullets.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
This is always the toughest one for me. Every judge that I have ever talked to about it says to use your strongest three birds in your Trio. I hate using my best birds in Trios. The idea in that is to try to win the Trio class. Even though the judge can pull one out of the Trio to use as Best of Variety or Reserve Best of Variety, I lose the points that I could have had in my Pullet, Cockerel, Hen, and/or Cock classes.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:15:33 AM »
Trios and Displays were used a lot in shows of past years.  And it is odd that the APA does not have specific judging instructions for both of these entry types.  Several experienced senior judges have said that they look at the trio as a breeding trio.  So the male and females should balance each other offsetting traits male to female.  And the females should match or be identical to each other since they should carry the same traits to counter any male faults.  I am not sure how or if this in passed down to newer judges or if they have more info not available to the general membership.  Maybe we could get some insight/comments from an APA/ABA judge or two on the subject.
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 11:25:41 AM »
So...the birds in my trio are not judged in their respective classes, also?  I thought entered them as a trio was an add-on, not a replacement for the regular classes.

I hope I haven't messed up for Knoxville.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 11:53:26 AM »
That is where it gets confusing. We only have about three shows that I know of that have Trio classes. The others shows that have a Display competition do not have Trio classes. Since there is no Trio class, they just use the points earned through the Cockerel, Pullet, Cock, and Hen classes. I like those much better.

If a bird is shown as part of a Trio, it will not be judged in its class. Although your Cockerel or Pullet could be pulled from the Trio class and awarded BV, he/she will not be First Place Cockerel/Pullet. The birds entered in the Cockerel/Pullet classes will be placed 1-5.

Makes Me Crazy,
Ernie Haire

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 12:59:18 PM »
So, let's say that one of my black cockerels in a trio also gets BV. He would still compete for BB, then right?
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 02:15:56 PM »
That is correct. If your cockerel is BV he can be considered for BB. It just drives me crazy to think that two of my pullets were not considered in the pullet class.

Just Saying,
Ernie