The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > News and Information

Proposed change in APA Standard for Blue Wheaten males

<< < (3/3)

Max:

--- Quote from: Susan Mouw on March 26, 2018, 08:19:49 AM ---
I agree with your statement as regards the Blue Ameraucana.  The Standard does call for the same color pattern as found in Blue Andalusian - those are considered the pinnacle of blue feathering in chickens.  However the Standard for Blue Wheaten does not compare to the blue Andalusian and does not call for the black or glossy black lacing found in the Andalusian. 

At one point, I agreed that the word "lacing" should probably be changed to "edging", however, after further research, I realized it is really splitting hairs and an unnecessary change.  I have never agreed to the "preferred shafting" and think that would be an error on our part to condone or request such a change.

--- End quote ---

I personally don't believe that "blue wheaten" should be compared to "blue". They are two completely different varieties. That being said, I do believe that a standard description change would be detrimental to the work that many breeders have put into the Blue Wheaten variety.

Susan Mouw:
I agree and that is why the majority of the Board did not vote to pursue it.  It is my understanding, however, that it is being pursued, either individually or with the endorsement of another club.  As far as I know, it has not yet been submitted to the Standards Committee.  If/when it is, it has to be approved by the Standards Committee by a majority vote; and if approved, will be put before the APA membership for comments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version