Author Topic: sexing ameraucanas  (Read 9890 times)

sexing ameraucanas
« on: July 06, 2005, 04:02:43 PM »
I have a white 21 week old ameraucana that was supposed to be a female but it is crowing now!  Does anyone have photos of male vs. female specimens.  Any way I can sex it? ( I am obviously a beginner) Anyone want a rooster?

Mike Gilbert

sexing ameraucanas
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:34:35 PM »
If it is crowing it is without a doubt a rooster.   We do have pictures posted on this website of adult birds.    Can you post a picture?

sexing ameraucanas
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 01:11:08 PM »
I\'ve got pics of my 3 month old pair if you want to compare. If it crows it is a rooster though, although I did have a hen that crowed every day(but she sounded beyond weird). I find its difficult to sex them when you only got one gender, last year I hatched 3 chicks and it took me months to figure what they were(finally figured it when they grew pointy hackles) all 3 were roos...... This year I hatched 2 blue chicks and its a cockeral and a pullet, easy to distinguishe at 1 month of age and now even easier that they are nearly 3 months old.

John

sexing ameraucanas
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 04:46:07 PM »
If it sounds like a cockerel, it probably is one.  With some varieties it is easier to tell the difference by thier colors earlier than with others.  Bigger combs and sickle feathers are generally good early indicators of cockerels.

sexing ameraucanas
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 05:06:13 PM »
I have the same question.. when do chickens start crowing usually?  I\'m new to chickens, and my flock is about 4 months old.  I\'m supposed to have all pullets, but I hear a lot of stories of people getting cockerals with their pullets... I have 2 Americanas and 4 Production Reds. So far no one is crowing..

sexing ameraucanas
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 09:59:34 PM »
At 4 months young cockerals should already be growing pointy, shiny hackle feathers on their neck and back. I know my Ameraucana cockerals all got their first hackles growing with 2 1/2 months.

Suz

sexing ameraucanas
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 10:18:21 AM »
I have some 4-month-old chicks and the cockerels have been crowing for several weeks now.

sexing ameraucanas
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 12:26:48 AM »
Today I found the first three eggs of my flock!  Quite small, but beautiful!  So I know for sure I have at least 3 hens!