Author Topic: how unAmeraucan of her!  (Read 3229 times)

how unAmeraucan of her!
« on: August 18, 2006, 08:47:24 PM »
My wheaten and blue wheaten bantams have been breeding true for 3 years.  This year I have a pullet with absolutely no beard or muffs.  Dawn

how unAmeraucan of her!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 11:25:00 AM »
Beards and Muffs is an incomplete dominance trait. Your bird may only carry one gene for beards and muff.

Does the bird have reduced wattles and a small pea comb?

Another possibility is that you crossed two birds that only carry one gene for beard and muffs. They can produce birds without beard and muffs. You would have one chance in four of producing a non bearded and muffed bird.

Tim

Mike Gilbert

how unAmeraucan of her!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:34:52 PM »
Having quite a few years experience with this situation, I can say without a doubt the clean faced bird was a result of the second scenario offered by Tim.   The gene may be an incomplete dominant, but the muffs are always manifested is some form, though the hetero birds will have smaller muffs and beards as a general rule.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
how unAmeraucan of her!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 02:38:20 PM »
I had two pullets this year without beards and muffs and they came from some good stock.  It just pops up.

I also have a cockerel that has small little wattles.  I was saving him to see if I would keep him as a breeder, obviously that question has been answered.

Jean
Jean

how unAmeraucan of her!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 08:19:10 AM »
I have had birds that were heterozygous for beards and muff and did not have beards and muff. One of the effects of the beards and muff gene is to reduce comb and wattle size.

Tim

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
how unAmeraucan of her!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 08:57:16 PM »
Here\'s a picture of my bird with the tiny wattles.

Jean
Jean