Author Topic: Question on Feather Coloring  (Read 3665 times)

philipu

Question on Feather Coloring
« on: July 08, 2005, 12:21:31 PM »

I have a question, this is in regard to one of the Black Ameraucana
Large Fowl Chicks, the first feathers on the bird are appearing
black with a white lacing, this is under the neck and on the upper
breast area so far...
Can anyone give me a reason this might happen?
The Other Blacks look fine.  thanks, phil

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 06:32:41 PM »
Philip,
If those are not chick feathers that eventually disappear when the adult feathers come in, then it is probably E>R (birchen) at the e-locus on one or both of the chromosomes.  Birchen is dominant to E (extended black), so a heterozygous bird should show some birchen coloring.   If it turns out to be a female, and you don\'t want or need it, I would be interested in purchasing it - assuming we can still ship birds through the mail.   So far have not had any trouble shipping started birds from my post office, but don\'t know what it is like on your end.

Mike Gilbert

philipu

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 06:59:33 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Philip,
If those are not chick feathers that eventually disappear when the adult feathers come in, then it is probably E>R (birchen) at the e-locus on one or both of the chromosomes.  Birchen is dominant to E (extended black), so a heterozygous bird should show some birchen coloring.   If it turns out to be a female, and you don\'t want or need it, I would be interested in purchasing it - assuming we can still ship birds through the mail.   So far have not had any trouble shipping started birds from my post office, but don\'t know what it is like on your end.

Mike Gilbert

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the genetic information,
after the molt if the lacing is still there and it\'s a female the bird is yours.
If it\'s what you want, there is only shipping involved.
When the next set of feathers comes in and the lacing is there
I will take a picture of the bird, and let you see it before I send it
to you, so it\'s not  a waste of your time or the cost of shipping.
I really appreciate the information.
I got the birds from Gary, it was one of the special deals
where they were the left overs after orders filled, so I got 10 white, 10 Black, a few Blue and some Buff.
One of the Buff has really light colored legs, and appears really light in feather(first feather).
phil

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 10:55:55 PM »
Thanks Philip,
That is so good of you to make the offer.   Actually, I may have an extra black pullet or cockerel I could send back to you in the same box if you need one.    These are sports from my large brown-reds, so no guarantees, but could be useful for genetic diversity if nothing else.

Mike