Author Topic: poultry disease study aides  (Read 2776 times)

faith valley

poultry disease study aides
« on: July 14, 2005, 10:02:23 PM »
I am working on study aides for the poultry kids to help them with the state fair skill-a-thon and showmanship this year. I have the majority completed and am currently working on the poultry diseases. What do you all feel are the top 10 poultry diseases? I am wanting to make these into flashcards, so I need to find a photo for them also.

I was thinking to use Infectious Bronchitis, Newcastle Disease, Coccidiosis, Blackhead, Aspergillosis (Brooder Pneumonia), Fowl Cholera, Avian Pox or Fowl Pox, Marek\'s Disease, Pullorum Disease, & Avian Influenza. Do you agree with these choices or would you change some of them?

~Patty~

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 10:43:51 PM »
In my area pullorum is practically non-existent, even though we are required to test for it.   I think CRD (chronic respiratory disease) is much more prevalent.   It has other names as well.    Do you have Gail  D.\'s book on poultry diseases?

faith valley

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 12:27:38 AM »
No, I am not familiar with that book.  I have just been looking throught he internet to find info.  I will add the Chronic Respitory Disease that good idea.

John

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 08:45:44 AM »
My top ten would include:
Worms,
Coccidiosis,
Mycoplasma Infections (MG - includes CDR),
Infectious Bronchitis,
Laryngotracheitis (LT),
Newcastle Disease,
Avian Adenovirus Infections,
Infectious Coryza,
Avian Influenza &
Marek\'s Disease.

The Salsbury Manual of Poultry Diseases is out of print, but a great resource if you can find one.
Peter Brown, of First State Veterinary Supply Inc., advertises in the Poultry Press.  I have talked to him several times and would suggest you get his input.

faith valley

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 09:55:13 AM »
John,
Thank you for your ideas.  I will add your suggestions to the list.  I have 10 disease cards done up so far-  hopefully these will help the kids feel a bit more prepared for the competition.  It sure would be alot easier if we knew which diseases we  they needed to know  = )

Peter Brown is a very helpful guy. I chat with him every so often, and he is always there to help out on a kids\' project.  I will seek his imput- thanks