Author Topic: JR. Showmanship  (Read 1847 times)

Mitchell Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
JR. Showmanship
« on: June 03, 2023, 02:03:04 PM »
Our daughter is exhibiting poultry for the 1st time this year and we are looking for any advice regarding showmanship. My wife and I exhibited large animals in 4-H / open shows, and while we are learning about exhibiting poultry, we know very little about poultry showmanship so any help / advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mitch

kkdossey

• ABC BOD
  • Ameraucana Guru
  • Long live the blue bantam cock, whoever you are!
    • View Profile
    • Prime Time Poultry
Re: JR. Showmanship
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 02:37:54 PM »
Poultry showmanship normally has two components, the first being handling skills where you have to hold your bird and place it in a cage as well as remove it. The second part is knowledge and information based. Normally the judge will ask questions about the breed of bird you are showing such as history and specific breed characteristics. They tend to ask a lot of questions relating to the standard of perfection as well so its good to study that. Depending on age is typically how difficult the questions will be. The youth exhibition poultry association website has a lot of really good study information as well. If you have any other questions feel free to message me directly!
Written by my daughter Lauren Dossey
Kris Dossey

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 03:21:23 PM »
Nice answer Lauren!

Mitchell Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 07:31:25 PM »
Thank you we appreciate all the information.

Mitch

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 06:04:25 PM »
For Texas youth, the Brazos Valley Poultry Club is hosting a showmanship seminar at our annual picnic July 8th. If you're in Texas and are interested in attending, contact me at rhotonhill_poultry@yahoo.com for more information.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 08:04:08 PM »
For Texas youth, the Brazos Valley Poultry Club is hosting a showmanship seminar at our annual picnic July 8th. If you're in Texas and are interested in attending, contact me at rhotonhill_poultry@yahoo.com for more information.

That’s great.

Mitchell Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 08:26:15 AM »
Thank you everyone for all the information and advice regarding Showmanship. Our daughter just finished up her first 4-H poultry show and we could not be more proud of her. She really enjoyed herself and presented herself and her birds very well. To top everything off her hen won AOV Large Fowl, placed Third Overall, and she won Junior Showmanship.

A huge thank you and credit to Paul and Angela Smith for selling us the Blue Ameracauna Pullets (now hens) our daughter showed.

Mitch

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 01:08:24 PM »
That’s awesome.

If you took any pictures at the show please send them to abcsecretaryhelton@gmail.com.

I would love to share them in our Fall bulletin.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 01:12:09 PM »
Also,

If you all are able to enter a meet request four weeks prior to shows she attends, she can be eligible to earn exhibitor points and can qualify to potentially receive a Best of Breed rosette at shows!

http://www.ameraucanabreedersclub.org/meet_req.html

kkdossey

• ABC BOD
  • Ameraucana Guru
  • Long live the blue bantam cock, whoever you are!
    • View Profile
    • Prime Time Poultry
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 10:15:20 PM »
Congratulations!  Glad she did so well.
Kris Dossey

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 04:45:03 PM »
Congratulations, it sounds like your daughter has her show career off to a great start. Paul and Angela Smith have been supplying Ameraucana poultry for many years. They have helped to promote the Ameraucana breed to it's rising status. Good choice on your poultry bloodlines!
Gordon Gilliam