Author Topic: Creating a new breed of bird  (Read 1525 times)

Timothy Asbury

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Creating a new breed of bird
« on: June 23, 2023, 12:53:52 AM »
So I was wondering. If I wanted to try and create my own breed of bird how should I go about getting it started. Would I breed for color first, characteristics, type, and so on. Just wondering as I was thinking about this. I have been reading up on some things but any thoughts and input is welcome.
Tim Asbury

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a new breed of bird
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 01:12:57 AM »
Are you wanting to create a new breed or a new color variety of Ameraucana?

Generally speaking type is worth two-thirds on the scale of points, so if you are creating a project color for the Ameraucana breed it will be important to pay close attention to type.

Timothy Asbury

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 02:00:20 AM »
I am unsure as of right now.  I do know I want ameraucana traits such as muffs and beards. But I am still trying to figure things out.
I am just trying to get an idea of how to go about doing this.  as a goal of mine  is to make my own version/breed.
Tim Asbury

Lacie Bateman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 10:25:30 PM »
The first thing you should do is figure out all the traits you want. But realistically you kind of breed for everything at the same time. Personally I focus on health first, then temperament, type, and lastly color.

I've got my own project going for just making a new color variety of Ameraucana, but eventually I have a whole new breed of chicken I'd like to create. ^_^

Timothy Asbury

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 12:32:36 PM »
Thanks for the information. I decided I want to make a feather footed, muff and bearded, dual purpose breed. With traits from the ameraucana, brama, Plymouth bards rock. We shall see how it turns out in a few years.
Tim Asbury

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 07:04:57 PM »
Timothy, what color eggs are you wanting to aim for in your finished product?
Gordon Gilliam

Timothy Asbury

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 10:47:22 PM »
Probably a dark olive. Just depends on how things blend. I already have 2 chicks from my roo and my bard rock that  came out with the beard and muffs. Just need to get them grown and see how they turn out.
Tim Asbury