Author Topic: breeding lavender Ameraucana  (Read 1381 times)

Carolin Zahn-Becher

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
breeding lavender Ameraucana
« on: September 29, 2023, 11:22:24 AM »
Hi there,

just by chance, out of 40 eggs I got 2 hens, which hopefully can be considered as somewhat lavender (pics below). One has a lot's of gold (6 month), the other one seems better in color to be, besides the tail which is covered with sand on the picture (5 month).

I found out in your forum, to go with a black rooster and breed back to the same hen.

So, my question is: Which hen should I go with? And, do I cross back to the mother, or to the other one, in order to have a better better genetic variety? Or with both, so I have 2 lines and see how they grow out?

I’m very thankful for any commend and help!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 09:58:44 AM by Carolin Zahn-Becher »

Lacie Bateman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: breeding lavender Ameraucana
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 10:58:13 AM »
Hello ^_^ If you want to get into breeding I highly recommend picking up a copy of the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection.

Your first girl has a lot of gold leakage, so if you're going for self blue ( lavender) I wouldn't use her at all. If it were me I'd get a nice black cock bird to put over your second hen, I'd also source some additional self blue chicks from one of our ABC breeders in the breeder's directory.

once you get your first set of splits from the black cock and self blue hen all raised up you can put your nicest split male back over his mom and any additional self blue hens that are good breeding quality.

Carolin Zahn-Becher

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: breeding lavender Ameraucana
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 01:18:50 PM »
Thank you very much Lacie, I will proceed just as you recommended.

American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection has been ordered in September :)