Author Topic: Spur Removal  (Read 5770 times)

bantamhill

Spur Removal
« on: February 18, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »
I have several cocks with spurs that need to be removed for breeding season . . . anyone with any experience with the procedure? I know the basics . . . use a pliers and turn slowly . . . any other advise?

Michael

Spur Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »
A  microwaved baked potato just like you were going to eat pushed down on the spur for couple minutes will soften it and make it turn off easier.. Chris

Johnny Parks

Spur Removal
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »
I don\'t even use pliers, I just grip with my thumb and forefinger and give a turn clockwise (because I\'m right handed) and off the spur comes.  Little bit of blood...not bad at all.  Johnny

Mindy and Tom Best

Re: Spur Removal
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:31:03 AM »
I am already worrying about the spur removal when that time comes. I am wondering how close to a show date they can be removed? And any other techniques out there?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
I just rotate them back and forth gently until they are ready to pull off easily.   The core of the spur will remain on the bird, and will be a little bloody/messy, but it dries up in just a few days or even less.   The birds do not seem to be in any pain after the procedure.   It's easier than you may think.

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
Thanks for the info. Mike and the encouragement I will need it.

bantamhill

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 03:42:57 PM »
 ::)
Much easier than I ever thought all those years ago! I tend to use a plyers to make sure I have a good grip on the spur. I was amazed the first time how easy it was.

Michael

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 03:58:32 AM »
Thank you Michael!

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 12:54:52 PM »
I've never removed spur's either and I've never kept Cockerels/Roosters to get much older than a year.  Now I have a couple I plan to keep.  The year olds look like their spurs should be removed.  Is there an age this is generally done or just when it needs it?  Thanks - Linda

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
I never have removed their spurs.  I just get a pair of dog nail clippers and blunt the tip of the spur prior to putting the hens in.  It seems to work fine.  I haven't had any injured hens.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

bantamhill

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »
I remove spurs prior to breeding season. If they are longer than an inch, they are gone. If you have low fertility and the cock bird has long spurs, try removing them.  ;)

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 09:33:24 AM »
Thanks for these great tips. I do believe when the time comes one of my roosters will have trimmed and one will have removed spurs based  upon personality. Lol  :o Let's just say one of my roosters is very protective of his girls and is not very fond of me (especially in the morning.)