Author Topic: Bathing White Ameraucana\'s  (Read 4202 times)

philipu

Bathing White Ameraucana\'s
« on: July 23, 2005, 02:44:50 PM »
I have no experience in showing White Birds,
This fall I hope to be showing some White Ameraucana\'s.
What would one use to show the white the best, I\'ve heard of
everything from Bluing...to Dog Shampoo.  I guess I could try different things but if some one has some experience with this
I would appreciate the information.
I found that for removing any old scales on birds, to use
a product like Pretty Feet, it really smooths those birds legs, and leaves them nice.
phil

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 04:57:52 PM »
Phil,
The males, especially, may look brassy until the pin feathers all grow out, particularly in the hackle.   Not much you can do about that - short of cheating.    The best bet is to let them fully feather, give them a decent bath, and let the chips fall where they may.    If they have the proper genetics they won\'t be brassy.   Proper genetics include E or E>R at the e-locus, (S) silver instead of (s) gold, Bl/BL (blue), and possibly a few others.     Sometimes you can get better whites by crossing them with blacks to introduce E at the e-locus, but of course that takes two generations.

faith valley

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 11:39:26 PM »
Phil,

The best trick I have found for a white chicken is to spray shout on the bird, wrap him up in a towel and then 5 minutes later wash him as normal.  All of the stains will wipe right off.  We do this for our BTW Japanese all of the time.

philipu

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 06:03:57 PM »
Thanks Patty,
So the Shout will not harm the bird, I will give it a try on one of
my Marans I\'m taking to butcher this week, and try it one of them
there is one that needs it, and I don\'t like to have soiled feathers.
I appreciate the information.phil

faith valley

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 07:54:53 PM »
I have used shout on the Japs, OEG, & wyandottes,  doesn\'t seem to affect them.  Make sure that you use a vinegar rinse afterward though.  You want to make sure you get it all rinsed out. Efferdent denture cleaner on the legs seems to work wonders at getting the dirt out from under the leg scales too.  Have to watch that you dont get that on the feathers though- it does turn feathers blue.

~Patty~

philipu

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 02:40:39 PM »
Quote from: faith valley
I have used shout on the Japs, OEG, & wyandottes,  doesn\'t seem to affect them.  Make sure that you use a vinegar rinse afterward though.  You want to make sure you get it all rinsed out. Efferdent denture cleaner on the legs seems to work wonders at getting the dirt out from under the leg scales too.  Have to watch that you dont get that on the feathers though- it does turn feathers blue.

~Patty~

Thanks Patty,
I\'ll give the efferdent a try.....as well as the shout.
I\'m going to a show the first weekend of August,
won\'t be showing any Ameraucana, some are just coming out of a molt.
I will show bantam buckeyes, and a large white langshan pullet.
It\'s been sooo hot here, the birds are not liking it.
Again, I appreciate the information.
phil

faith valley

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 04:09:59 PM »
You have buckeyes?!?  I have a youngster out my way here currently doing research on the buckeyes for a poultry project.  Can I pass your name in email adress along to that family?

philipu

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 05:09:42 PM »
You have buckeyes?!?  I have a youngster out my way here currently doing research on the buckeyes for a poultry project.  Can I pass your name in email adress along to that family?

I have the Buckeye in Bantam.
1 currently have 6 hens, 1 cock and about 7 cockerels.
That would be find.
I think Feathrsite has a good description and information on them.
I know they have some cornish in their back ground, and can be
feisty.
The cock is now with out tail, molt.
phil
thanks, phil

faith valley

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 10:07:02 PM »
Thanks, Phil, I will get them the info.  I know they were interested in temperament in addition to the rarity of them.  Being from Ohio, it posed a fasination as the Buckeye was orignated in Ohio.

philipu

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 10:37:19 PM »
Thanks, Phil, I will get them the info.  I know they were interested in temperament in addition to the rarity of them.  Being from Ohio, it posed a fasination as the Buckeye was orignated in Ohio.

The Large Fowl are the ones Mrs. Medford originated, I\'m not sure on the bantams.
Urch and some of them might also be able to help.