Author Topic: black youngster plumage  (Read 1932 times)

faith valley

black youngster plumage
« on: May 16, 2007, 08:19:46 AM »
We have a group of 8 week old Standard Black Ameraucanas (hatched from a breeder, not mutts) and I have a question about their plumage. At this age, should they be entirely black? 10 of them still have a white covert feather here or there, or they have a white tip on a couple primaries, or 2-4 completely white primaries.  Will these go away in their juvie molt, or is this a common \"black bird\" issue that you try to breed away from?

I know with the white crested black polish, you have white primaries that will molt out to solid black ones at that juvie molt.

Thanks

~Patty~

Mike Gilbert

black youngster plumage
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »
Those white feathers should go away when they molt and grow adult feathers, but no guarantees.   I have little experience with the standard size blacks and blues, but many years of experience with the bantams.  Keep an eye on them as they mature.

faith valley

black youngster plumage
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:48:24 AM »
Thanks, Mike,  I was hoping to hear that bit of advise.  We have just the 13 of them and only planned to keep 5 or 6 for breeding, but have a long list of folks waiting to get the ones that we \"pass\" on. Would you believe that of the 13, only 2 are males, the rest all hatched female?  Kind of a nice problem to have.

~Patty~