Author Topic: Rooster or hen, what color? Help!  (Read 3165 times)

titansrunfarm

Rooster or hen, what color? Help!
« on: July 26, 2005, 02:49:50 PM »
Hi!
I am new to chickens, have read much about keeping but not breeding. My goal is to have some nice looking eggs/layers. Just enough eggs for my family and my parents. I bought 6 pullets of diff. breeds from our local feed store. One of which was labeled \"Ameraucana\", I have become very intrigued with this one, I love the little beard and friendliness, was also told it would lay blue/green eggs. They are all now 2.5 months old.  Recently I heard \"Sam\" crow, I think it may be a rooster, not a hen. Also I read about diff. Ameraucana colors and don\'t find his color listed anywhere. Could you help me with this?

I will add a link to pics of \"Sam and friends\"
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=a1hyuuz.ux81imf&x=0&h=1&y=-iidr1p

Thanks,
Amanda

John

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 04:29:47 PM »
Amanda,
Sam is definitely what we call an \"Easter Egg\" chicken.  The willow legs and yellow on the feet & beak are dead give-a-ways.  His color/pattern is not a recognized variety, but would be closest to silver.  He does have some of the traits of an Ameraucana, but is a mixed breed chicken.  He will be fine in the backyard or on the table, but not in a poultry show.
Check out the FAQ pages on this website and my website, ChickHatchery.com, for more information.
Welcome to the ABC Forum!

titansrunfarm

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 12:48:58 PM »
Thanks for your info John.
Was wondering if anyone has 4-6 Ameraucana/Eater Egg pullets for sale. As mentioned, I\'m not interested in showing/breeding at this time, so they don\'t need to be perfect by standard. I sure was looking forward to that blue/green egg and some pretty colored hens to watch. Sam will stay with us regardless, he\'s a mutt but our mutt none the less.  :D

Amanda