Author Topic: Who knew chickens had belly buttons!?!  (Read 3529 times)

Who knew chickens had belly buttons!?!
« on: June 01, 2007, 12:41:59 AM »
So, I finally had a successfull hatch, albeit 3 days early.   :stare:  I went to the incubator today with the intent of turning of the rotation and adding water only to be greeted by a single chick fully hatched, looking around, and two others halfway done.  Two are fine, but the third seems to have what appears to be an umbilical hernia.  It seemed of substantial size given such a small creature (maybe 3/4cm?).  What is the prognosis of such a condition?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:23:06 PM »
Not good.    There is a great danger of infection entering through unhealed umbilical cords.   I use a dab of triple-antibiotic salve on the \"wound\" until it heals.   Sometimes that works, sometimes not.    It often takes four or five days, sometimes more, for an infected chick to expire.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 01:12:47 AM »
 :(

Thanks, I didn\'t think it was too promising.  The poor little guy is smaller than the others and not fluffly like them.  I\'ll keep putting abx ointment on it and say a prayer for the little thing.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:34:23 PM »
I think too much humidity during hatch sometimes causes raw navels (I personally would rather risk that than problems caused by low humidity, though!). Methods that I\'ve found to help chicks with raw navels:
* Put soft cheesecloth type cloth (Be sure it has a loose enough weave to still allow good air circulation) over the wire on incubator floor to keep hatching chick\'s navel from getting roughed up while newborn is scooting around
* If a chick has a raw navel, transfer it from the incubator to the less-hazardous brooder soon after it has begun to dry. While moving the chick, wrap it in a dry washcloth to protect it from draft. Then immediately hold it close under the brooder lamp to warm it, and gently rub some of the dampness off.
** Most importantly: Dampen newborn\'s navel with a little water and then dip navel area in Aeromycin antibiotic powder (available at feed stores or vet\'s). Using antibiotic powder rather than salve allows the skin on the navel to toughen up, helping protect it. You may wish to put powder on a second time a half day later.
* Ensure the brooder is close to 100 degrees for a damp newborn.
* Cover the brooder floor with soft paper towels (Try to get a kind with a minimum of bleaching chemicals used) for the first 3 days to minimize abrasion and keep particles from sticking to the chick\'s belly. Keep towels as clean as possible--changing 2-4 times/day.
* Add a little Terramycin antibiotic powder (perhaps Aeromycin would work just as well?) to drinking water for about 3 days. A little sugar and/or vitamins & electrolytes (NOT minerals, since in excess these can be lethal to chicks) in the water can bolster the chick’s system, as well.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 03:04:59 PM »
Whenever I have something sticking out that shouldn\'t on a newborn chick, I just put a normal size bandaid on it, try to make it as tight so it kinda pushes on whatever it is. Even on the \"rear\" end.

In about 3 days, the bandaid will fall off, and so far, knock on wood, they were all fine.

Sterling

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 02:29:50 PM »
Jennifer,
  It sounds like your incubator is too hot since they hatched 3 days too early!  Purchase another digital outdoor/indoor thermometer.  Place the probe inside the incubator near the thermometer that you are currently using.  I\'m betting it\'s almost 2º F too high.  We ruined 2 incubators one with over 22 dozen before I caught the error.  Wal-Mart should have them for about $8.00.
Paul Smith