Author Topic: Finally made a webpage!  (Read 3330 times)

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Finally made a webpage!
« on: July 02, 2007, 09:40:14 PM »
I finally had some time (blew out a knee) and an internet connection at the same time.  I made a webpage for my black and blue golds.  They\'re the best photos I\'ve got... and the best birds I\'ve got... still working...
http://httP://www.bryngyld.com/Ameraucana.html
Lyne
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Finally made a webpage!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:50:51 AM »
Lyne,

Your buff ameraucana carry dominant white and that is why you have the buff headed chick. The buff headed chick is carrying one copy of the dominant white gene and gold. I have made similar crosses in the past. You can sex the chicks by the color of their face. The males are white faced and the females are buff faced. This works on birds that are wheaten or wild type.

Two of your blue gold birds appear to be lemon blue. Males can carry a silver and a gold gene and that is why your birds pyle zones are diluted to the lemon color. Silver also has a tendency to leak gold so you get the straw or lemon color.  

If you cross the lemon blue with a black gold female then ~ 1/2 of the males will be black gold and ~1/2 will be lemon. You will get some black silver and black gold females.

What cross did you make to produce the males in the pictures?

Tim

Mike Gilbert

Finally made a webpage!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 10:51:43 AM »
Lyne,
   From the pics it looks like you have quite the project going there.    I\'m glad someone has taken such an interest in the black gold project.     Here are some comments based on what I can see in the pics.    While striving for the proper color, don\'t forget about certain other important aspects of the breed.  These are problems I have had to work out in my own stock so I suspect you might be running up against the same problems.      In Ameraucanas, the eye color should be reddish bay, not dark brown or black.    Watch out for white in the earlobes, especially the males - sometimes it\'s almost impossible to tell in the females, so I always make sure to use  only males without a trace of white in the lobes.    Keep a close watch on the beaks - making sure they are properly formed and not too long (commonly referred to as \"crow headed\").   I see some of your birds with great beaks and a few where the beaks are a bit too long.   And finally, try to strive for more of a golden color in the males instead of orange.   This will be one of the major distinguishing characteristics in the showroom between the brown red and the black gold varieties.   Brown red males are to be orange and black, black golds are to be gold - colored and black.    Of course in your blue golds the top color will be diluted to even lighter shades due to the dominant BL gene at work.
None of these comments should be construed as criticism, but instead as  helpful hints.   Thanks for all you are doing, and keep up the good work out there on the west coast.   Will you be able to attend the national meet in Great Falls this October?

Mike Gilbert

Finally made a webpage!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 12:18:09 PM »
What are you going for crossing with Blue Laced red Wyandottes?

I\'ve thought about it, but have no genetic background.

I acutally would like to do a cochin, blrw, & Ameraucana mix to get a blue laced red cochin that lays blue eggs, now that would be something!  LOL

Sterling

Finally made a webpage!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »
Lyne,
You have some beautiful birds! The Blue Golds are especially neat.
I\'ve thought of trying to develop some new colors but gathering info on the complex genetic processes, finding birds who can fill the needs well, etc. I have discovered is a very tall order. Please keep sharing your pioneering achievements with those of us who can only dream at this point.
And thanks to everyone for generously sharing knowledge to help us all streamline furtherance of optimal Ameraucana genetics in our flocks.
Laura

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Finally made a webpage!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 01:39:48 AM »
Thanks for all the comments.  I did notice the crow beaks (and yes, Mike, they came from your male you sent, but he also gave me the best laced daughters.).  As long as I keep getting good beaks to choose from later, I\'m not worried.  I\'m a long way from culling for the little stuff.  I\'m still getting a wide variety of colors in the hatches.  I have been a bit concerned because I don\'t seem to be getting the light gold color anymore.  I may have to make another addition to the flock to add it back in.

As far as working on new colors or just dreaming about it... if you DON\'T put two chickens together just to see what you get - next year you will be a year older.  In other words \"why not?\"  What\'s the worst thing that can happen?  You have a bunch of Easter Eggers that you find homes for.  (I embrace the Easter Eggers as part of being Ameraucana.)

Most of all - do it because it is FUN.  It feels good.  If it doesn\'t make you feel good, don\'t do it.

Lyne (huge EE supplier in Sacramento)  
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

Finally made a webpage!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:57:53 AM »
Lyne,
Being from Sacramento, you might want to contact Don Cable sometime.   Don was the instrument that got the Ameraucana breed recognized as a seperate breed, and is an honorary lifetime vice president of the ABC.   He lives at 6442 Chestnut Avenue in Orangevale, which is only a short distance from the capital city of Sacramento.      Thanks for your other comments.   We should all strive to enjoy the hobby, and thank God that he has given us a peaceful time and place in HIStory to pursue it.