Author Topic: ? about my Ameraucana Cockerl  (Read 2546 times)

? about my Ameraucana Cockerl
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:14:25 PM »
   hello, My kids and I are just starting to show poultry and we have a beautiful Br/red guy we have entered in our fair , but he has down looking feathers round his tail plumage . Is this normal ? He is only about 5.5 months old . Should we show him like this ?  There  is only a few.  Any help would be apper.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:36:33 AM »
It would be helpful to post a photo if you can.   If you mean the soft feathers that sometimes appear at the juncture of saddle and tail, that should not prevent you from showing him.
It is not desireable, but neither is it a disqualification.   The Ameraucana standard calls for a smooth transition between slope of back and rise of tail.   That means no abrupt angle and no fluff at the base of the tail.    But hey, its a fair, and its a learning experience.   Show the bird and, if you get a chance, talk to the judge about your concerns.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:51:05 PM »
 Thank you , Yes it is those feathers around the tail.  I hope he does well he is Beautiful and has sold me on the breed .  Depending on what the judge says she may take him to Lucasville in Oct.